Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spray gun opinions

I am about to replace my old spray gun which is getting a bit tired and erratic...I could splash some cash and go for a Devilbiss, Sata or similar but would be interested in the views of anyone with a working knowledge of the subject...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Spray gun opinions

I have a Walcom engine bay gun (HVLP) it comes with a set of spares and different sized pots, it is almost like an airbrush on it's lower settings and nearly like a full size gun on it's higher settings. It is easy to use and even me who only infrequently uses it find it hard to get runs. I find that it uses very little paint and is very controllable, ideal for bike frames, tanks etc, but not much good for full car panels. I got mine through Snap-on, but I'm sure they are available elsewhere

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I have a cheapish HVLP gun - it's easy to use and clean and has a great range as Dave pointed out.

email (option): Adh325@hotmail.com

This is the first piece of advice I've given on this forum in almost 3 weeks of WM20 ownership and with all the advice Ian plus others have given me over the weeks, I'm glad I could return the favour eventually.

I'm one of those guys who repair bumper/wheel scuffs at car dealerships and have used Devilbiss SRi guns for 5 years or so. I also use a cheaper HVLP gun for primer and the difference between the two is dramatic - the atomisation just doesn't compare. As they say, you get what you pay for. Another gun I'd recommend is the Iwata LPH80, again great atomisation & finish, but around £150/200 a pop.
All of these guns are for spot repairs and have a smaller fan than traditional paint-shop guns but I find them perfect for bike-sized items - I can do a whole plastic car bumper at a push, so a tank is no trouble.

If you follow the Photobucket link there's a pic of my trusty CD175 that I painted in the garage at home. A quick flat & polish as black is a pain to paint and hey presto - thanks Devilbiss.

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z335/ktm_nut/CD1750011.jpg

I've yet to try it with drab olive, but that's my winter project.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Hi Lee, thanks for the info...I was thinking of keeping my old gun for primer/undercoat/barcoat etc. only and the new one for finishing. I have a preference for gravity guns...are the ones you have mentioned of this type? ....Ian

They are all gravity fed HVLP, plus if you're not using an air-fed mask a 25ltr compressor is more than enough. Make sure it's drained regularly though and fit a moisture trap if you can.

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

According to the stats. my compressor is a bit borderline for some of the HVLP guns being rated at 14cfm...though I do have a 120 ltr. receiver which gives some time at full volume.
I fitted a moisture trap from the word go as I have always done all my own spraying and the compressor supplies the bead blaster as well...Ian

what are these cheap electric spray guns like for a one off job

Nieuwe pagina 1