Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
census number of a velocette mdd

Can someone help me with the correct census number for a Velocette MDD
with the frame number MDD 12074, thanks!

Bram

email (option): bram@ockhuizen.com

Re: census number of a velocette mdd

Bram, I don't know if it's certain that these odd contracts were matched to consecutively issued census numbers but if they were then it should be C4323008

Bram. I agree with Rik. The records indicate that yours is the 1074th bike from 1200 in contract C7974 1940/41. I also calculate C4323008 for the tank.
Original pictures show the signwriting on the tank to look something like this. The numbers could possibly be a bit slimmer though. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

OK, thanks bud is it possible to Fins out to wath unit
the bike was going to?

Bram

email (option): Bram@Ockhuizen.com

I don't think that's possible Bram. Some were ordered by the French Army. But they would have been canceled.
They would probably have been dispersed from Chilwell and issued to lower echelon units. Some maybe to the AM.
There is a short sequence in the motorcycle training video of an MDD in operation for training purposes.
The commentator remarks about the gear shift being different from the normal. (Triumphs also were one down and three up). Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Are there also some pics from a Velo in device?

Bram

email (option): bram@ockhuizen.com

There is a series of photos in the Imperial War Museum collection, some of which are reproduced in Gavin Birch's 'Motorcycles at War' - including IWM H24685, H24689 and H24690 which show Freddie Frith and John White during 1942 at an MT school in the north of England, both Velocette mounted (on C4323092 and C4323099)

Frith and White were pre-war 'works' Grand-Prix riders and they're photographed showing 'how to do it'

As Ron said, the Velocettes seem to have been used mainly for this sort of behind the scenes use. There just wasn't enough of them to warrant supplying them to units on active service.

Nieuwe pagina 1