Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tyres

After much deliberation i've decided to go for the Ensign Universal 'Road', rather than the trails tyre. This is a really good match for the original WD stamped Dunlop Universal I took off the bike. It has a nice 'block' tread, but the centre row of blocks are partially joined - which I guess must improve road performance.

I've gone for a 350 x 19 front and rear - for a slightly chunkier feel

One thing i'm not sure about are the required offsets - does anyone have a note of these? Im fairly certain that when the wheels were on the bike the front wheel didnt look like it was sat centrally.

email (option): adh325@hotmail.com

Re: Tyres

Hi Andy, both front and rear rims should be WM3s. Offset for the front measured from a straight edge placed across the bearing housing on the brake drum side to the edge of the rim is 7/16"...I will have to check the dimension for the rear...will post again later if no one beats me to it..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Andy, anyway to get photos of the threads, I bought the Coker Dunlop copies and thought they were satisfactory.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Not too long ago in Canada we could buy Firestones (All Non-Skid) tires with WD moulded in, that were ex-Canadian army Triumph TRW stock, I had a pair marked 1956 and 1957.
They were so hard as to be virtually unflexible for mounting. I tried once and gave up, sold them on e-bay for museum display use. Hopefully nobody tries to ride on them.
British Cycle Supply and Walridge motors in Canada sell Indian made modern copies that look period, but again very hard and likely dangerous to use on pavement. I think Walridge actually states they should not be used for road use...
I went with Avon Safety Mileage tires, as they were made in England and of modern compounds.
Vince

email (option): vinver@ns.sympatico.ca

see image below - this is a standard image so the proportions of the actual 350x19 tyre will look slightly different.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Below is a poor image of the original 325 Dunlop universal with WD stamp.

email (option): Adh325@hotmail.com

Tyres arrived today, thought I'd do a comparison. It's not a bad likeness, the new tyre will obviously bulk out a bit once on the rim - but the pattern is pretty much the same.

That looks really 'period' Andy. Thanks for posting. Keep us updated on how it is in use.

Hi Andy, Where did you get them from? thanks John

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

Hi John, not sure where Andy got his but got mine from Vintage Tyres Beaulieu at Netley Marsh a few years ago, Ian H. Photobucket

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

Vintage tyres - same as Ian. 350 is £49 + vat, free delivery too. I ordered mine at 3pm and they arrived 10.00am next morning!!

Nieuwe pagina 1