Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Engine & gearbox - to paint or not to paint?

Does anyone know what parts of the engine & gearbox (if any) were painted on a '44 WM20? Some are all green with black barrel/head, some have plain or polished tappet covers/cases with the rest being green and others seem to be au naturel from the base gasket down. Help!

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Re: Engine & gearbox - to paint or not to paint?

Hi Lee,
Only my observations, but I would think in 1944 the engine casings and gearbox probably came unpainted, or "au naturel:) ". Seems like the early models were over-painted after factory delivery. My 1943 model has a 1940 engine, which still has traces or "clumps" of paint in spots, but most of it is gone. It probably wasn't repainted if it went in for rebuild.
Polished tappet,timing covers are likely incorrect at any rate.
Others can probably provide more details.
Cheers,
Vince

email (option): bsa3man@rocketmail.com

A natural finish (unpolished) was the finish as delivered from the factory. Painted engines and gearboxes do turn up in a few wartime photos but are not that common and would have been done in Army workshops. Postwar a painted finish was much more common...I have had REME reconditioned engines and gearboxes in the storage crates that were completely painted...in the case of the engine including the mag and dynamo. Photos from this period indicate painting was the normal procedure...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian & Vincent.

Ian, talking of mags, mine is boxed and ready - what's the best address to send it to?

email (option): lee@twowheelstested.co.uk

Hi Lee..I'll mail you the address...Ian

The engine and tranny paint is part of the oil leak prevention system. Usually, multiple coats.

email (option): Britool51@hotmail.com

You can usually revive a bit of corrosion on the crankcases and gearbox, but when once the paint starts flaking on the aluminium you'd usually have to strip the lot off to tidy it up, I'd always leave them in bare aluminum and let them grow old gracefully as aluminium is a dirty metal and the paint will fall off at some point no matter which etch primer you use!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Can't argue with that Dave..There are plenty of modern bikes suffering the same problem..Unfortunately the modern die cast cases HAVE to be either lacquered or painted to protect them from the atmosphere...Catch 22?..Ian

what about chroming the aluminium

email (option): markbro1@hotmail.com

"CHROME" - my god man wash your mouth out !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nieuwe pagina 1