Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New old stock frame and O/S bikes

Hello All
I saw a new never used full frame for a WM 20 on Monday painted in olive drab.
Curious thing is that it was not stamped with a frame number, so did BSA or the military stamp the frame numbers??
Also do the indexes you have cover bikes that were sold to Australia or other colonies?
My frame is WM 20 60152 curious if it is listed in your files
Cheers Darren

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Re: New old stock frame and O/S bikes

Darren a frame as a replacement for a damaged item would have been kept in stock as well as any other spare part. My own bike was returned to the UK via the RAF in Malta (I have all the documents) It also must have had a replacement front frame at some time. It was simply numbered 701. It always bugged me, so I replaced it with a genuine numbered front frame section. I then had to go through the arsehole procedure of re-registering it Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

My G3 has had a replacement front frame at some time, the number stamps used were smaller than standard and it has this stores tag rivitted to it-
assembly tag  3
Cheers, Mick

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

one of my M20 the frame number has been hand stamped one number very faint not like the factory stamp which looks machine stamped and much deeper

I could use a decent front frame!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

peter long at cornucopia had some replacement front sections, unstamped a few years ago. might be worth asking him.

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

The only complete surviving Norton wartime ledger dating from late 1940 shows that spare frames were supplied with 'W' prefix numbers from the standard sequence - These frames around the 25000 number explain some of the gaps between WD contracts. However, there is no evidence of these gaps later on, perhaps indicating that later spare frames were indeed unstamped.

This is reflected in Norton engines also - Early on they had 'AS' prefix numbers but I have seen unstamped NOS complete engines and crankcase pairs

Nieuwe pagina 1