Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1940 BSA WM20 For Sale -- near Reno Nevada USA

This is not my bike, but I'm listing it for a friend without computer access in Topaz Ranch Estates (between Holbrook Junction and Wellington) south of Gardnerville NV and Reno Nevada. It's a project he started out "hot" on and ended cold, 20 odd years ago -- a 1940 British War Department BSA Model M20; 500cc side valve single cylinder motorcycle. It has classic English girder front forks and a rigid rear end. The bike was complete and running well when he bought it in 1979. It stayed that way while new parts for the restoration were purchased and set aside. Finally, he was ready to take it apart and restore it to it's former olive drab glory. As the bike was disassembled, parts were boxed, bagged and set aside. He got the frame and wheels painted (OD), mounted new Made in England Firestone tires, partly assembled the rear part of the chassis and then dropped the project. What remains to be done is largely some painting and re-assembly of the boxed and bagged parts. The bike and all it's parts have been stored in a separate, closed off room in the garage until the decision was made to part with this and the other bikes in his collection. The asking price is $4500 -- but he's open to negotiation. (In Grade 1 condition, these military M20's sell at auctions in the range of $10,000 and up. With all the authentic and hard to find parts on this one, it should do equally well when finished. )

You can email me or for best results -- phone the seller, Bob at 775 266-3720

Shipping out of the U.S. can be arranged. These is a Forward Air facility in Sacramento CA. I believe they ship motorcycles to some other nations for reasonable prices. Check their website.

What you get: Nevada title in the seller's name, a rolling chassis 1940 BSA M20 with wheels, engine,generator, ignition, transmission, front and rear fenders, pannier mounts, chain guard, etc. Apart from the chassis, you get the repainted fuel tank, a batch of manuals including parts and service manuals for the bike, boxes of new replacement and the original parts as removed from the bike. Actually, we didn't catalog the parts, just took boxes out of the storage room, took photos and a video and gathered impressions of all that's included. My impression is that all the original parts are there and possibly 10% more new replacement parts. The only thing I saw that needed replacing that hadn't already been replaced was the original handlebars. This is a link to the video that might give a better idea of all that comes with the chassis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dntuMlUPw8

Oh yeah on top of all that, he's also throwing in a complete WWII British Army Corporal's uniform with trousers, jacket, shirt, necktie, cummerbund, canvas pistol holster, canvas leggings, 3 steel helmets, a gas mask and canteen plus an officers' cap. If they don't fit, you can always put the uniform on a mannequin and display it with the bike.

The following are not all the photos I have of the M20. This is a link to an album with these and more: http://tinypic.com/a/2nzt1/1

I see that most of the pictures are cropped about in half when displayed on this site and I don't know how to fix that. To see see the complete pictures, click on the link above to the TinyPic album.

Rolling chassis:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Engine/transmission:

Parts boxes:

This cables in this box are all new, copied from the original cables by GP Cycles in Oakland:

NOS lead acid battery and box of gaskets

Original headpipe and muffler with new chrome headpipe (wrapped):

Manuals:

Toolbox:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic]

Saddles and pillions:

Headlight cover, factory clutch rod length checking tool, desert side stand

English Army uniform, corporal rank, two steel helmets :

Gas mask, cartridge belt, uniform shirt:

email (option): Plain-Bill@hotmail.com

Re: 1940 BSA WM20 For Sale -- near Reno Nevada USA SOLD

The 1940 M20 that turned out to be a 1945 M20 (1946 if you believe the title, 1945 if the engine number is to be believed), has been sold to a gentleman from Las Vegas. In truth, he's not really a gentleman; he's Tom Murphy, a friend of mine who innocently asked what I was up to during a phone conversation. I told him about helping Bob sell the M20 and some other bikes he's owned for over 30 years.

Having just sold his 944 Turbo Porsche, Murphy was feeling pretty wealthy and decided that he needed a BSA to fill the void in his garage. He picked it up today and will be returning to Vegas on Saturday.

Thanks for making the space available to spread the word about this project -- even if there were no takers from the forum.

Bill

email (option): Plain-Bill@hotmail.com

Re: 1940 BSA WM20 For Sale -- near Reno Nevada USA SOLD

Hi Bill,

Good to hear it found a new owner. Hopefully he will be putting it back in use again.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1