Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
steering stem damper/ gear box

Hi all
I have been making up a list of parts i need and found that my steering stem damper does not have a star washer at the bottom as listed in the parts. i had a look at a 1940 model that has been restored and noticed that it had the same set up as mine. i suspected that the star washer had been replaced with a solid washer at some stage in the past. So my question is what do do now ? Do i keep it the same ( solid washer ) or put it back to The star washer ? What are the advantages or disadvantages of the 2 systems?
I have parts of 3 gear box's but notice that 2 have a speedo drive and one does not. I do have the speedo drive for the front wheel. So what are your thoughts ?

email (option): wpgarage@xtra.co.nz

Re: steering stem damper/ gear box

Hi Phil..I am pretty sure M20s of all years had the star washer fitted to tension the damper assembly....I would refit one. You should also have a flat wound 'Thackeray' spring washer under the damper knob..between the base of the knob and the top of the stem cap nut.
Gearboxes with a speedo drive are post 48 units, introduced at the same time as tele forks when the front wheel speedo drive was lost. These can be useful however, as they contain the gears and selector dogs with the modified tooth form that helped gear engagement. Also the tracks and pins in the gear selector forks are wider, increasing the radii at the 'corners' of the tracks. This gives a smoother operation than those used in the earlier boxes. All internal parts are interchangeable between the two types (apart from the speedo drive parts). The only real difference is that the layshaft has a worm machined into one end to engage with the speedo drive but even this can still be fitted to an earlier type box.
I'll mail you re. steering bearings...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hello
I do have some spare gearbox parts if you are needing some including the correct inner cover ( no speedo drive) gearbox shells and gears selectors etc.
If you need new bearings I can give you the modern replacement numbers if you wish, I only just bought mine here in Melbourne on Saturday
Cheers Darren

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

thanks Ian and Darren. thanks for reply,s. I have found a complete steering head damper in Aussie so will order that. I have got a few feelers out here in NZ for gear box and will see what turns up. If i don't find anything i will contact you Darren about the gear box housing you have.

email (option): wpgarage@xtra.co.nz

Nieuwe pagina 1