Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RAF Insignia

Hello all, Hope you dont mind me gate crashing your forum, I have 2 questions, did RAF bikes have any insignia other than the roundel & RAF on the tank Ie: squadron or airbase markings and secondly what make of tyre pump would have been fitted to a RE WD/CO ex RAF.
Thanks very much, Andy

Re: RAF Insignia

Hello Kitch. I can't remember ever seeing an original picture of an RAF WD/CO. Unfortunately no RAF records seem to have survived. I have a few Ariel W/NG shots though. My own CO is from an ex RAF contract and I have depicted it by viewing the W/NG shots. I have seen squadron markings on other vehicles. So with artistic licence, I have applied TAF/83 to the top of my fuel tank. I would assume however, any such markings would have been painted on the mudguards?

Gawd knows what pump was used? Maybe Jan can come up with more info? Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Here is a close up of an Ariel with Roundel. This is from a bigger picture of an RAF field workshop and some of the other Ariels don't appear to have the Roundel. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Here's an early war shot of an RAF WD/C with roundel on the front guard.

Photobucket

...and a 16H in what looks to be Italy with roundel and unit marking on the front guard.

Photobucket

Ron Pier

... Maybe Jan can come up with more info? Ron

Hello Ron and Andy,

Unfortunately there is absolutely no mention of a pump in the parts lists, driver's handbooks or workshop manual... Looks as if you can use whatever you find, as long as it fits and it looks "period"...

Cheers,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Thanks for all your replies and photos,
much appreciated, Andy

Here is an RAF Harley WLC. Does anyone know what the numbers represent (3rd motorcycle in 630 squadron?)
Paul

Nieuwe pagina 1