Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WW2 RAF Motorcycles

Does anyone know what different makes/models of motorcycles were issued to the RAF during WW2 please?

email (option): dave.stapleton626@virgin.net

Re: WW2 RAF Motorcycles

The RAF had a much smaller number of bikes than that supplied to the WO. But most makes were involved.
I have original pictures of Ariel W/NG's, Indian 741's and Norton 16H. My own Royal Enfield CO is from an RAF contract and they also had BSA, Triumph and Matchless to name a few more.
The M20's and 16H's were often ordered with Swallow sidecars.
Try and get a copy of "British Forces Motorcycles" by Orchard and Madden. All the contracts are listed with in. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron, Thanks for that, found a copy on the Interweb and placed an order. Look forward to reading it. Dave.

email (option): dave.stapleton626@virgin.net

I think the RAF were also the only user of the Velocette MAF.
Regards
Clive

Harley Davidson WLC also.

Clive, only 947 MAF's were built and all were supplied to the War Office. Some were destined for the French army, but I think Hitlers troops were there first. I wouldn't take any notice of the blue RAF example in the Motorcycle Museum. I don't think any were issued to the Air Ministry. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

This site has some RAF Harley WLC pics.

http://www.theliberator.be/liberator8.htm

Hi Ron,
I bow to your superior knowladge on this. Like so many things one hears over the years it often proves false.
Regards
Clive

Nieuwe pagina 1