Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need your help in understanding what part I should replace in my Amal 376 carburetter

Dear friends,

I am not sure what part I should replace in my carburetter.

My problem:
If I stop the motorcycle (engine Idle - like in a red traffic light) then after a few seconds it sounds like the RPM is being not stable and the engine turns off. The only way to keep it running is to increase the RPM (pull the gas). This behavior continued even after I opened and cleaned the carburetter. Tuning the screws doesn't really help.
It is also seems like the Throttle Screw does not work properly.

BSA 1952 496 cc, BM20 *2697*
Monobloc Carburetters - e.g 376 Amal.

Please Advice,
Barak

email (option): mbdror@gmail.com

Re: Need your help in understanding what part I should replace in my Amal 376 carburetter

You have all the symptoms of a worn throttle slide, the bore of the carb could well be worn as well as can the jet block, this wears the inside of the throttle slide. I personally would try replacing the throttle slide with a new one this usually solves the problem.

Re: Need your help in understanding what part I should replace in my Amal 376 carburetter

Ciao, are you sure the problem is the carb? what about the magneto? does it work fine also in low RPM? Devis V

email (option): vadori@libero.it

Hi Ian,

Thank you for the tip, I will certainly try it.
It is my first time in this forum and am impressed from your prompy reply,

Be Good,
Barak

Hi Devis,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am not sure it is the Carb. Since I am very new in this lovely hobby, I am still not familiar with everything.
I never thought about the direction of the Magneto and did not know it might cause this.
In low RPM the light is sometimes disappearing, so I guess it doesn't works well...

Appreciate your help,
Barak

Hi Barak and welcome to the forum!

Give me a call tomorrow morning if you are free and maybe we can meet and I will try to help.
I am sure we can al least improve the situation,
or identify the root cause, if not even solve it.

BTW, the charging/lights is a different, low-voltage system and separate from the Magneto/Spark high voltage system.

The dynamo only "rides" the magneto to get it's revolution via a sprocket/clutch system.

Cheers!
Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1