Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wm20 tyres

hi all thanks for all your info you gave me in my last posts.
just another question, does any on have any info on what type of tyres should be on the bike??
regards barry

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

Re: wm20 tyres

i know a few of us are using dunlop k70's...
3.5 section

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Tyres like that might look kind of cool, but they were never used on motorcycles during the war. The K70 looks pretty much the same as some of the tyres used then and will give far better handling then these knobbly tyres.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

The Mitas 350x19 block tread is a cheap and usable lookalike for the wartime pattern. The Dunlop K70 is a much better tyre but a lot more expensive. As I replace the tyres on the bikes that I use regularly, I opt for the K70.....You get what you pay for.
The trials type tyres only seem to have been used on outfits such as the SWD Norton Big4.....Where handling wasn't an issue! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

big round rubber ones

Dunlop K70s for me..I need a tyre which inspires confidence and performs predictably in both wet and dry conditions. Cheaper block tread pattern tyres don't look quite so good viewed from the floor!..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I like Dunlop unigrips, they are made in India, but they are actually made by Dunlop on the old universal molds. I went through all the snow and shit last winter with them on my G3 without incident. In the dry I have no problem getting the rests down!
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Ian Wright
Dunlop K70s for me..I need a tyre which inspires confidence and performs predictably in both wet and dry conditions. Cheaper block tread pattern tyres don't look quite so good viewed from the floor!..Ian

Ian, were you an advertising copywriter back in the 1970s ?

I'm quite happy with my Indian Uni-Grips as are a number of high-mileage friends.

The Ensign 'Trials Universal' is actually quite a radical tyre, certainly when compared with the old Dunlop Trials tyres. It is closer to what they used to call a 'Competition' tyre. Early WD16Hs and Big 4s were specified with 'Comp' rear and standard front but despite requests from the services, they were not adopted in wartime.

Trials tyres are OK on the road once you get used to them but they are quickly ruined for trials use by running on tarmac.

I quite like the look of the new Ensign road tyres in 3.25x19 and 3.50x19

http://www.vmcc.net/vmccshop/scripts/prodpic.asp?productimg=bcw28.jpg&product=Ensign%20Universal%20RoadTyre,%20325%20x%2019&prodcode=BCW33

Henk, it looks like most of the M20s in the Thistlegorn pictures have a block tread, possibly just for the North African campaign.
Photobucket

email (option): jrosson86@att.net

Well spotted Joe..It would certainly make sense in sandy conditions. I guess these were fitted by the Army before they headed for North Africa...BSA wouldn't have known the destination of the bikes at the production stage...or would they???....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, we yielded to the look and put Engelbrecht block tread on our M20 desert bike. The tire's block pattern looks very close to the ones on the Thislegorn. Not a rain pattern tire!!

You have to be right about the Army mounting them, if mounted at the factory it would have been a dead give away as to where they were headed.

"Loose Lips" & all that.

email (option): jrosson86@att.net

thanks chaps for your advice, so many to choose from,
thanks barry

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1