Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RASC Motorcycles 1944

Hi All. Two questions if I may: My late father served with the Royal Army Service Corps during WW2 as a Driver however, I believe he also learnt to ride motorcycles whilst in the army. What I'd like to know is; was learning to ride a motorcycle part of a Driver's training? On leaving the Army in 1948 he bought a new Matchless G3L (I wonder if this choice of motorcycle might have been influenced by his service riding). My second question is; According to his service records he "Embarked for BLA 30 June 1944 710 Coy GEN. TRT." . Does anyone have any information on this unit and it's vehicle insignia please (i.e. what would have appeared on the unit's motorcycles?) Also what does BLA stand for? From chatting to him many years ago about his service in NW Europe, I understand he was involved with delivering Bailey Bridges during the push for the Rhine through Belgium and Holland. Thanks, Dave.

email (option): dave.stapleton626@virgin.net

Re: RASC Motorcycles 1944

See what you think of this BLA comment
http://www.radfordaapirp.org/comminv/rabmin/RAB%20Presentation%20pdfs/12102009NRU.pdf

And
http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/general/34070-b-l-montchar-ival-2-argylls-6-aug-44-a.html

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=phhggh2g7ndo9gbbqu35ouid50&topic=508817.0

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Hi Dave

General concesus of opinion says BLA stands for British Liberation Army?

Some RASC units had an unofficial extra marking as well as their parent unit formation sign and Arm of Service Marking (neither of which appears to be recorded in this case), here is the one for 710 Coy (GT). This would have been applied to trucks and larger vehicles but I have never seen one on a motorcycle.

Rob

Photobucket

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

It's always quite difficult to pin down individual units of Corps, especially in something as large as 21st Army Group. You'll probably need to look at the war diaries at Kew to be sure who they reported to.

General Transport companies RASC were specific types of MT (Motor Transport) Companies. They were responsible for general stores and 2nd line supplies of ammunition etc. (There were also GT Companies (Troop Carrying).

There is a good chance that 710 GT Coy. were a 21st Army Group asset although they could have been allocated direct to the British 2nd Army.

We've discussed on here before that regrettably, according to regulations, motorcycles did not carry a 'formation sign' by 1944 and only an 'Arm of Service' number.

In the case of RASC, this was red / green diagonal.

Hodges & Taylor give some known examples of 21st AG GT Coy AoS markings -

503,528, 530, 532, 537, 538, 541, 542, 558, 582, 584, but there were undoubtedly others.

The marking would either have had a white bar under indicating Army troops or possibly a white diagonal bar, top right to bottom left for Line of Communication troops.

Sorry this is all so vague. It's far easier for divisions !

These War Diaries in the National Archive may be of interest but are unlikely to include information on markings. There may be something in the higher formation admin records but that would mean serious research.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=6&CATID=5457147&SearchInit=4&SearchType=6&CATREF=WO+171%2F2519

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=6&CATID=5460964&SearchInit=4&SearchType=6&CATREF=WO+171%2F6338

Thanks for the answers and info. I have added a photo of my Dad below showing his insignia, the (red) shield with (blue) cross I was told was 21st Army Group so that would tie in with what you said Rik. I have also been told that he might have been attached to the Royal Engineers because of the Bailey Bridge connection?

I guess the RASC drivers would have worked very closely with the Royal Engineers but at the end of the day their responsbility would have been to look after and drive their trucks.

The badge he is wearing appears to be 21st Armg Group L of C (Line of comunication), HQ badges had various swords added.

Rob.

Photobucket

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

I'm struggling with the forum tonight, it's just rejected a reply as 'Spam' !

I'll try bit by bit.

Great post Rob, there's nothing that I can do to top that !

That's a nice clear photo there Dave. No doubting the 21st Army Group allocation.

There were separate Bridging Companies RASC with Bailey Bridge Platoons but I imagine it possible that the GS trucks of GT transport companies could have been used at times when extra transport was needed.

In terms of marking up the bike, the most likely is simply an Arm of Service number with the possibility of a 21st AG sign in the closing stages of the war. As Rob indicated, the unofficial RASC sign was probably not displayed on motorcycles and certainly not in the early days of the campaign.

Rob, Thanks for the colour photo of the insignia, very helpful.

Rik, Looking at his service records again I see it reads "GEN. TPT". rather than TRT, also, further down the page I have just noticed it is recorded as "710 Coy GT" so that confirms it.

Thanks guys.

Dave

Nieuwe pagina 1