Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
B 31 clutch

1952 my b31 plunger has a 6 spring clutch it has 3 steel and 3 friction plates in the w/shop manuel it says that to do the springs(new springs)with the lock nut just the top of the bolt showing with them set like this the clutch slips on kick starting i have to do them up with at least 10mm showing on some models it say 5 plates how can i tell which clutch i have or what the problem might be thanks roger

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Re: B 31 clutch

The A10 clutch has 5 friction plates, the clutch basket and the centre are deeper, there is nothing to stop you fitting the A10 clutch.

i dont want to spend anymore money on the clutch just how do you tell the difference between the 2 clutches to know which one i have got

If you have the 'narrower' version of the clutch with the smaller number of plates there will not be enough depth in the clutch basket to get any more plates (as in the deeper version) into it...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I don't think it makes much difference which basket You got if it's slipping on the kickstart procedure. If You have the deep basket it's the same, It can be used with 3 plates or 5, it just has deeper walls.
6 spring clutch = nightmare. Search for bsa 6 spring clutch online and see the magnitude of frustrated bsa owners who seek council regarding the former.
I am one of them. (Apoligies if You know this clutch stuff already)

I never had a problem with them, even slapping together old and abused plates, must be your assembly procedure.

I have to say I agree with 'M' (isn't he the head of the secret service in the Bond films? ).
The 6 spring BSA clutch is a poor design, specifically the lightweight ball assemblies on which it runs, the fact that the clutch center is made from very thin material and only covers a short section of the clutch sleeve splines leading to rapid wear, the spot welded stud retention which frequently fails and the cork inserts in the clutch basket which are awkward to change and are usually worn..and that isn't all of it!
The fact that BSA immediately lifted the Triumph clutch for their own bikes when they bought Triumph out says it all and confirms they knew there were problems with thier own unit.
As a good clutch is a key part of having a bike that is easy to live with and enjoyable to use ...SCRAP IT and fit a Triumph clutch....just my opinion of course ...Ian

I run a Triumph clutch in my Shooting Star but in my M33 and B33 I run a 6 spring clutch and have no problems at all, I removed the WD clutch that was fitted to my M33 and replaced it with the 6 spring as it was lighter in operation.

thank you all trust me it was working alright till i seized the engine and put it back together i am getting there honest ian

Hi
Have you got the BSA service sheet No 308?

(if not, it’s here http://www.petercomley.com/308%20Clutch%206%20spring.pdf)

If you can’t fit any more plates into the basket then you have the right one for the B31, the B33 used a deeper basket and more plates but 6 in total is good enough for the massive power of a 350.
It doesn’t really matter how much stud is protruding through the adjusting nuts. As long as it doesn’t slip or drag it’s got to be right! The only really important bit is getting the pressure equal on all the springs and this is what will take time and nerves! I go overboard and use a dial gauge to set mine up but that is not really necessary.
I note that the Haynes Manual states “adjust the clutch spring tensioners so that the extreme end of the thread on the studs is just showing”. Don’t take Hayne’s manuals too seriously!!
Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

I use a dial gauge as well...and it is surprising how unevenly the springs need to be adjusted sometimes to get an even lift...Ian

bsa b31 clutch always gives trouble in my all restored bikes i put bsa wm20 complete clutch it works fine and secondly clutch outer hozing is smaller than bsa b31 clutch it gives increase in speed of 3/4 miles.

email (option): pallimotors@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1