Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speedo Questions

In what years did Smiths change the design of their speedo bezels? I once had a pin drive WD speedo on an emprire star which had a beautiful satin chrome bevelled bezel. I see pictures of rounded unchromed bezels and I have just bought a WD speedo with a bright chromed bevelled bezel (not much chrome left) with screw in drive. Which type would have been fitted to my 1941/2 wm20?

Second question:
Should I bother to remove my bezel? The bezel appears to be very stuck to the speedo housing. It seems to work but I would like to clean the inside of the glass and see why the needle rubs on it.
I have seen earlier posts suggesting the use of clamping tools to hemp remove it, but has anyone done this without damaging either the speedo body or bezel?

Paul

Re: Speedo Questions

It's my understanding that the pre and early war bikes had the pin drive and dull plated bevelled bezels. My 39 WD C10 even has an illumination bulb as standard. These were naturally just a follow on from civvy items.
Very soon the WD speedo had become the rounded version (don't know why?) These were also dull plated and had a tamper proof rivet added by Smiths, through the side of the bezel.
Late or post war seem to have had the same rounded bezel, but just painted over brass.
Before you try to undo the bezel. Hold it just below the service of some hot (not boiling) water. Sometimes this will expand it enough to undo it by hand. I imagine the speedo repair guys have a special tool?? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1