Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 Steering head bearings and historical info

Hi To all
I am starting to reassemble a basket case M20 , frame number M20-109711. I am about to order some steering haed bearings and have been told that ther is a taper roller upgrade availible . Part number 99-9912a. I would just like to confirm this before i pay for some thing that may not be the best choice. Can any one tell me if this is the right number and if they are a straight fit or is there machining required?.
This bike arrived in New Zealand some years ago and came from some island off Veitnam. i have also been told that it is a 1945 and went into british Army ordanance. I would love to get more historic info to help with final colour scheme and markings. can any one help ?
Cheers
Phil Smith
NZ

email (option): wpgarage@xtra.co.nz

Re: M20 Steering head bearings and historical info

Hi Phil. I make it that your frame was from contract S5209 which was for 12,000 machines built from Feb43- July45. Yours is the 4894th bike from that contract. I don't know at what rate they were being built, but I would assume yours could be from 44. The original tank census number is C5550411.
No doubt soon, Ian Wright will inform you about his taper bearing stearing head kits.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Here two photos of M20´s with tank numbers close to yours, this give you an idea what your bike looked like during the war.

Henk

C5549661

C5556883

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Phil..As Ron says I have bearing conversion kits for M20s etc. They are not taper rollers but sealed ball bearings.(fitted as original equipment to Norton Commandoes and Buells) Both bearings have been modified for the application and are a direct replacement,without modification, for the originals.
Despite the widespread use of taper rollers they are not, in fact, the best type for the steering head application. E mail me direct if you are interested...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1