Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
interesting vintage photo

Found this on tumblr, not sure if it's of any interest here?

Re: interesting vintage photo

Nice photo, thanks.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Yes, Very Nice. Any new photos are always welcome.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Very interesting, anybody know what is written on the tank and on the front mudgard? Is it a RAF bike?
/Cheers Jerry

email (option): jerry.carlsson@sspa.se

Strangely it has 'Durham Heathan' painted on the tank. Durham is a place in the UK. Very non standard looking steering damper knob as well!!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I know that the Brylcream Boys were a bit of a law unto themselves but the picture seems to have a just post-war feel (and not just the lack of headlamp mask).

We now know where Marlon Brando got the pose from, don't we ? The chap on the BSA looks well hard - shows Brando up for the mincing nancy that he was !

Make that 'Heathen'...There is no reg plate on the bike and it has a convoy light so I'm guessing it's a wartime photo. Relatively unusual to see them completely painted at that time..and with a black exhaust. Is he wearing aircraft fitters clothing? I'm no expert on that subject. As Rik says it may be just post war..Ian

Looks like it says "meathead" on the tank

or Motorhead? ...They'd never heard of words like that back in them days...Ian

there are no panniers on it and his boots look more like what you call monkeyboots

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I've enlarged the picture and it says " DURHAM MEATHEAD" Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
I've enlarged the picture and it says " DURHAM MEATHEAD" Ron

Lancaster bombers had names too, is there a list anywhere?

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

I wonder if it is even later than that, maybe some rocker in his Dad's old RAF jacket posing in front of a wartime relic. In the sixties there used to be a Wellington Bomber on the civilian side of Biggin Hill airfield. There was also a seafire that was still flown and we used to do 'speed' trials down the runway on our bikes.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

The bike is typical RAF spec with some early and some later parts and it has typical RAF markings on the front mudguard (fender).

The rider is wearing what you would expect from an RAF groundcrew fitter or perhaps aircrew on opps.

The Lancaster appears to have a bomb hoist? underneath the open bomb doors and a refueling bowser? is parked in front.

So I think it is highly likely that this is a wartime shot.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

The only Bomber Command base I could find at Durham was RAF Middleton St. George. This was opened in 1941 and in 1942 became the home to Canadians of 419,420 and 428 Squadrons flying Wellingtons, Halifaxes and Lancasters.
This seems like a candidate for this photo..Being a base for Canadians might explain the er..colourful language painted on the tank..Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1