Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Paint- Matt, gloss ot satin finish

I was looking about buying some paint, and was wondering what the general opinion was? I was thinking about going for the satin finish, colour Khaki Green No.3, just because it would be slightly more durable. Also I believe I have to thin the oaint down with white spirit, I've only ever used 2 pack paint before, anything in particular I need to know?

Glenn

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Re: Paint- Matt, gloss ot satin finish

Hi Glen..I like the paint supplied by Jeeparts UK. It has a satin/eggshell finish and is very easy and consistant to use. They have a range of colours to choose from. It is a synthetic that can be brushed or sprayed (handy if you need to touch in any damage).
Some people do use white spirit as a thinners but personally I like to use the thinners designed for the paint..synthetic 'fast thinners'. This is available from most vehicle paint suppliers. I get good results with a 50/50 paint/thinners ratio....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I tried jeep parts this morning Ian afer reading an old post of yours where you said you mixed Khaki GP No3 from approx 1 part Dark Camouflage Brown to 2-3 parts late war Olive Drab, but the lady I was talking to said she didn't do those colours. So I then tried Frank Burberry who said he could supply khaki green no 3 in a satin or matt finish. He seemed most helpful and pleasant. Is the paint of similar quality do you think? I'm more at home using 2 pack paint and fast thinners etc so hopefullt fast thinners will work on that paint too.

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

whilst looking to match an existing paint colour i found that some suppliers will colourmatch to a sample plus allow you to pick the finish and also put the paint into spray tins for you ...it cost £5 per tin but is an excellent alternative for bikes ...

Tips
1 Kill any rust with Kurust ..re apply until no active rust
2 apply a zinc based undercoat ..Zinc 192 is excellent ..Also available in spray cans ..use layers and sand
3 use satin finish...

Glenn
I tried jeep parts this morning Ian afer reading an old post of yours where you said you mixed Khaki GP No3 from approx 1 part Dark Camouflage Brown to 2-3 parts late war Olive Drab, but the lady I was talking to said she didn't do those colours. So I then tried Frank Burberry who said he could supply khaki green no 3 in a satin or matt finish. He seemed most helpful and pleasant. Is the paint of similar quality do you think? I'm more at home using 2 pack paint and fast thinners etc so hopefullt fast thinners will work on that paint too.

Hi Glenn

I've used Franks "matt bronze green" paint with white spirits as he suggested and it worked very well but was very slow drying, I don't know if you can use fast thinners with it though? I have got a tin of his KG3 but I still haven't got around to trying it.

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1