Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Message for Mick Homes.

Mick a friend of mine wants to convert the rubber mounted bars to solid on his WING. I took the liberty in telling him to ask for you at Drag's. Or maybe you have something in your private stock.
If not we'll think of a way to lock it up?? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Message for Mick Homes.

If rubber mounted bars were original I'd go for locking the assembly up (preferably using a 'reversible' method). That way the bike will still look correct and can be returned to original at a later date if required. Though I suppose he could fit the later yoke and just put the original on the shelf!..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Yes Ian. It's exactly what I suggested. But he seems to like the idea of fitting the later type and dump the rubber mounted problematic items. I have told him if nothing is forthcoming, we'll visit one of my engineers here who will no doubt come up with a lock up solid solution. It's already been drilled and pinned and this has failed.
I have in mind some steel doughnuts to replace the rubbers, then tig weld it in his desired position, so that it looks original from the outside? Ron

What goes wrong with the rubber type. They seem like a good idea since most vibration comes through the bars.I,m sure i would persist in making them work!

It's not the best idea! I had the same problem with my 38 Speedtwin. The modern rubber doughnuts are far too soft. I got some cut by a firm in Southamton from some stiff Neoprene sheet. But even with everything as it should be, it's still possible for the bars to end up on your tank if you lean on them to hard. The Norton Big4 has a sprung steel horseshoe fitted between the bars and top clip for this very reason. Ron

Hey Ron, spoke to your mate today, nice bloke. Will put some feelers out. basically he want a '42 on solid mount top yoke for his W/NG. He has the early rubber mounted bars set up, and is willing to trade assemblies.
It took me a couple of years to find the early set up for my W/NG, so this is a good trade. If anyone has a spare post '42 top yoke, please let me or Ron know.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Ron, Les at russells still has NOS late type top yolks for wng,s, I was there last week If I remember right he said he still had some left, best phone him quick, closed Mondays andrew.h

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Thanks for that Andy.

Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1