Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3L

Hi,

Could use the number of the threads on the bolts that hold the bracket of the front fender to the fork tubes.

Not sure if it is 26 or 24 or ?

Not in the parts catalogue. Thanks for your time.,

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Re: Matchless G3L

The threads into the alloy are bsf and the other end bscy. The coarser thread always into the alloy.They should be studs.

Henri, the front stays are held on with hex bolts, cannot remember now if BSC or BSF? rear ones also with bolts, but early G3L had no front stand, so were same as for front stays, later ones with front stand had special bolts with small cotter pin, so front stand could swivel freely, and bolts could not drop out.

Only studs on the forks were for the spindle caps.

If no-one else knows I can take one out and measure,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

I would be surprised if the bolts were BSCY into aluminium.
BSA discontinued that practice pre war and used BSW into aluminium for improved strength.
As the G3L was a wartime developement I would have thought BSF or BSW more likely..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Okay,

Lex, it is the four bolts that hold that big bracket from the front fender into the fork sliders. The fork sliders are still NOS, with cork fillers into the holes and I did not wish to chance misthreading it. Don't know if that is a real word btw.

All threads in the sliders are 5/16 22tpi BSF not Cycle or Withworth!

Never had much problems with them, they only hold the mudguard on, and studs with same thread the front wheel .

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Great, thanks a bunch. The postage for the USPS box to NJ was 10.95 US. Forgot to mention that.

Nieuwe pagina 1