Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
repro exhaust baffle headaches

Hello All . I'd like to ask a small favour of anyone who is able and willing to help . I've just bought an Indian made reproduction silencer , perfectly well made apart from one feature , namely that the section of tubing into which the exhaust pipe on the bike should be a sliding fit is too narrow to the tune of no less than three and a half millimeters - over an eight of an inch! No amount of bending or botching would make this item fit , and in order to make it useable atall I would need to get my welding gear out . I have measured the external diameter of my exhaust down pipe with a vernier gauge and it is about 44.5 millimeters . Could any of you who are able to please do likewise on your bikes and let me know if your exhaust down pipes are the same diameter as mine? This is so I can say to the company I bought this repro exhaust baffle from that my exhaust down pipe is definately a standard original one when it comes to arguing the toss with them , which I will be doing shortly . And as a moral to the tale , I suppose , let us all be cautious about these Indian made parts which are flooding the market . Best wishes , Leif .

email (option): leifevans75@yahoo.co.uk

Re: repro exhaust baffle headaches

Hi Leif, Your exhaust pipe is measuring up correctly at 1.750" (1 3/4" or 44.39mm). The fault definitely lies with the silencer. Check out the position and length of the mounting bracket as well...it sounds like you may have a silencer for an OHV model (B31/33,M33) which uses a smaller 1 7/8" diameter pipe..or maybe they just made it wrong (again)!!..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

has it not got some slots in so that when you clamp it up it squeezes onto your down pipe you local exhaust center have an egg shaped tool that they use to open the ends of pipe when the dont fit could take you silencer and vernier gauge and get them to open it out a little to the right size

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Actually, Roger the differences between to diameter of the baffle and the diameter of the exhaust pipe were so extreme that nothing short of chopping off the baffle tube and welding a wider section on to the silencer will solve the problem , which is actually what I have ended up having to do , as the suppliers, being very appologetic , have said that the best they can offer is a spending voucher of £25 to make up for the inconvenience of my having to modify the part myself . Mind you , £25 is not to be sniffed at . Could buy me 5 litres of top quality motor oil , for instance . In the course of this enquiry , though , I have established that the manufacturing standard of these Indian made parts is not necessarily to be relied upon , so all be warned !

email (option): leifevans75@yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1