Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
16H trouble

I was out riding my 16H today was going perfect and made a little stop on the way back. After starting the bike I put the throttle open to drive away bud then it was like there was a short of benzin than I kept the throttle only a little open and made it home with only 10 to 15 Mph. Wath can this be, dust in the carb?? In Normandy
I have driven 250 to 300 Km with it no problem at all!

Bram

email (option): bram@ockhuizen.com

Re: 16H trouble

You can get this problem if the magneto is breaking down, you get a weak spark, enough to start the bike but as soon as you open the throttle and the engine compression increases it blows the spark out. Try it with the engine cold, if ok suspect the magneto. If you are stuck out with a worn magneto try closing the plug gap down to around 10 thou that may give you a stong enough spark to get you home. On the other hand it could be the carb at fault but if it will start the next jet after the pilot to block is the main jet, maybe it is a partialy blocked supply maybe the filter in the tap.

You might have a small blob of water in the lower fitting of the carb body (below the main jet) This can sit in the bottom of the fitting and as the engine revs (and vacuum) increase it is sucked up and blocks the jet. Drop the revs and the water falls into the bottom of the fitting again allowing the engine to run slowly...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

This is really strange Bram. Since chasing Ian's 720cc in Normandy, my 16H is lifting the front wheel in 1st, 2nd and 3rd on acceleration !

Ian's mention of water globules could well be the problem, especially with the addition of hygroscopic ethanol to the fuel. You didn't fill up with French 95 octane 'Euro 10' did you ? It's 10% ethanol.

It could otherwise be something really silly like a float with a leak sucking in fuel as it cools and over-fuelling or a needle that has slipped from the clip.

We do of course know (or at least those of us who were hiding in the bocage do) that your magneto taper was not 100% - Could the timing have slipped ?

Rik
This is really strange Bram. Since chasing Ian's 720cc in Normandy, my 16H is lifting the front wheel in 1st, 2nd and 3rd on acceleration ! [:))

That may be caused by overtightened forks and bumpy roads.. ..Ian

Ian Wright

That may be caused by overtightened forks and bumpy roads.. ..Ian

Ah, the green-eyed monster rears his ugly head once more.

I have check-springs, I hardly have to nip the fork dampers.

Surely you mean the Desert coloured monster?.. ...Ian

Ian Wright
Surely you mean the Desert coloured monster?.. ...Ian

No, I'm sure the bike is quite happy as it is, I mean the owner. Secretly, he craves a Norton. Real ale compared with a 'Bierre sans Alcohol'

I have had the trouble for 1 or 2 minits in Normandy also was just left the campingsite and it started I thougt OK swap it for the BSA and then it runs
normal and never have trouble again till now it consist?

Bram, any Norton that you threaten to swap for a BSA is bound to become temperamental. It's like telling your wife that you're off for a night in the red light district

If it's that intermittent then I'd suspect either dirt / water in the carb or a magneto problem.

Is it intermittent or consistent? The clip for the needle might have popped off and eaten by your exhaust pipe, otherwise a blocked needle jet or no decent fuel flow out of the tap.

always go for the cheapest option first

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Always go for the simplest option first..Ian

IThanks, I will give it a try and keep you informed.

Bram

Nieuwe pagina 1