Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bought this Project, constructive criticism welcome!!

Bought this project the other week, and thought I'd post up a few pictures, maybe people coule make comments on it etc to steer me in the right direction. I know there are many non original items on it and 'previous owner modifications', but I bought it as a restoration project. Comments welcome

Frame No: WM20 29168
Engine No: WM20 29027

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): glenn_mullan@postmaster.co.uk

Re: Bought this Project, constructive criticism welcome!!

Hi Glenn,
Doesn't look bad at all.
I am sure there are non standard bits bit I am no expert.
The only items I would attend to are improving the petrol pipe and moving the CVC box to a less exposed postition!
The only reason the CVC box is up there is, I suspect, poor charging. Much easier to whip the cover off and press the contacts together there than tucked away under the seat.
I am very envious as this is the sort of bike I want, I personally wouldn't restore it. If it runs just get it on the road and enjoy it!
Regards
Clive

email (option): cliveandjo@lineone.net

A nice project.. I would restore it, once you have determined what year it is and what its spec should be...At the very least I would remove all non BSA and postwar parts and replace them with the correct ones..Rear carriers/stays,pillion seat, toolbox,lower front mudguard stay,headlamp brackets,petrol pipe,outer primary cover, air filter,handlebar levers, silencer bracket and battery carrier front are all candidates at first glance..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

As far as I have my calculation ok your tank number would have been C4341593. Here two photos of bikes with tank numbers close to yours and this is what your bike would have looked like when new too.

Henk

C4342052

C4300302

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: Bought this Project, - NOTE TO IAN WRIGHT

Ian, what's wrong with the outer primary cover? I don't get it.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

hi glen,
did you get the log book with it ? if not the records office in dublin were really helpfull..
is she ex irish army or a later import ?

chris

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

i wouldnt want to ride pillion with that control box there

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi Danny..it's the post war one with the smaller inspection cover (same size as a B31 etc. oiltank cap)..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Bought this Project,

Bough it down Sout, with tax book but they won't transfer it up North. It was originally registered with a Northern Irish Reg about 9 years ago, but from previous experience they're anything but helpful in the Coleraine office of the DVLNI. That's as much of the history as I know. Anyone got any spares going? Think my early B31 has the correct M20 primary inspection cover on it for some reason. Any ideas on where to get the correct early tank?

Glenn

The bike is quite interesting as it is and there are less and less in post-war demob state.

The early tanks are not common and the current 1940 fashion (it'll pass ! ) means that they are quite sought after. There are a few around. The best bet is to keep asking until you find someone who wants to fit a Vokes filter... with 'care in the community', they are out there...

If you want a wartime look (and this bike is presumably one that was sold to Ireland post-war) then the best bet might be to obtain wartime style panniers and finish it with a 'rebuild' census number...those bikes would have been reassembled with all possible combinations of wartime parts.

It might seem like I'm jumping the gun on this next question, but what would be the correct colour? Secondly where would I get a good match or is there a RAL code for the colour etc?

Before you can choose a colour, you probably need to decide exactly which period you intend to portray.

You'll only need a 'Reichs-Ausschuß für Lieferbedingungen' colour if your bike has been captured by the Germans !

The machine would originally have been Khaki Green No.3 (a pig of a colour to match), if rebuilt 1942 - 44 SCC No. 2 Brown and later British Olive Green.

Re: Bought this Project, Another note to Ian Wright

Ian, sorry , but I STILL don't get it. Are you saying that the primary cover on that bike is different? Or is it just the inspection cap? Or what? I just can't see it. Maybe I'm looking for something radically different. But the cover on that bike looks exactly the same as on my bike, and the same as the cover on all the other WDM20s. Clearly, I must be misunderstanding something. Can you enlighten me, please? I'm sure that when you explain it, a light will wink on. But I don't see it right now.

hi glenn,i wish mine looked as complete as yours, mine looks like the jumble stalls at stafford on a rainy day. but ill tell you what ill get there wether my mudguard is right or my fag ends gone out and as for paint ill mix my own to my colour like they did in the war cheers rick. exciting isn't it?ps look at the forum pictures i cant see two bikes alike

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Re: Bought this Project

Cheers Rik and Rick. I understand your point Rik, I'm not going for prefection, just a wartime perod look, which would hve been a collection of parts I suppose. Just a matter of getting as many period parts as I can now! Exciting and costly times!

As for the difference in the primary cover, I believe Ian is refering to the inspection cover, the one that screws out. In my bike here the alloy cap that is screwed in is the same size of that on the B31 oil tank, and that is smaller than the inspection cap on the earlier WM20.

The aluminium cap of the post war cover is smaller then the war time one which also has a hexagon to remove it. When these bike saw post war military use they often were fitted with post war parts like the primary cover, MU42 headlamp and the plunger model gearbox.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: Bought this Project

Does anyone know what the toolbox is off? I was sat on my friends stall yesterday at an autojumble, he had an identical one and he didn't know what it was off.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Okay. Thanks for that.

I suspect the toolbox is from an Ariel.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Thanks, that what I suspected too!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1