Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gearbox leak, exterior solution idea

Another tech question while I have the clutch off...

It sounds like the only solution to the gearbox leak is to swap in a sealed bearing during a gearbox dismantle. My question is, has anyone ever tried fitting an o-ring to the cylinder/sprocket on the outside drive end of gearbox? I should post a photo because I'll describe this poorly, but basically I was thinking of machining a shallow groove in the metal cylinder chain drive/sprocket (sorry, probably the wrong terminolgy) that inserts into the gearbox, then slipping an o-ring into that groove, thus sealing the oil leak from the outside, without dismanteling the gearbox. Anyone tried that, or have any reasons why that's a terrible idea?!

email (option): cpdoberstein@gmail.com

Re: gearbox leak, exterior solution idea

i cured my leak by putting a small wooden block (piece of decking) under the chaincase side of the rear stand when i park it it seems a lot of effort to replace the oil seal when the gearbox is running ok

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Later gearboxes used a plain sprocket shoulder (without oil scroll) and were fitted with an oil seal.
Factors that may be relevant with your proposed mod are 1)The gearbox sprocket is hardened so it may be a problem machining the o ring groove. 2)You will have to check the clearance between the sprocket and gearbox case and carefully select a suitable o ring size. 3) The o ring will be running on the aluminium of the garbox case..this could wear rapidly..Ian

Thanks Ian. I assume the later sprockets won't fit the 1946 boxes?

Hi Craig..later sprockets from rigid/tele fork or plunger model gearboxes will fit the WD type.If you intend to use one and want to keep standard WD gearing you must specify an 18T version, which is available...most civvy models were fitted with a 19T..Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1