Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Unveiling of the Don Fife brick at Juno Beach

Unveiling of the Don Fife brick at Juno Beach and putting the Don Fife photo up in the capel at Fresney. Also a photo of presenting the replica brick to Don Fife's brother Russell in Canada by Samuel and Jim.

Don Fife

Don Fife

Don Fife

Don Fife

Don Fife

Don Fife

Don Fife

Don Fife

Don Fife

Don Fife

Don Fife's brother Russell

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: Unveiling of the Don Fife brick at Juno Beach

Truly well done to all concerned

email (option): gasboy@btinternet .com

Especially to Hans who got everything rolling and took on the organisation.

The turn-out at the ceremony was impressive.

I for one found the ceremony at Juno quite moving. Hans had spent a long time to reach this day and did an excellent job of making this a reality. The brick is in place and the visible memory to a brave young man is now there for all to see.

Many thanks Hans, it looked a moving ceremony that I'm glad to contribute to even if I couldn't be there in person

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Thanks guys, for your kind words; for me it was sort of fulfilment of a debt I feel towards the Canadians that liberated us. And yes, I know, there were more allies involved in our liberation: Americans, Scots, Welshmen, Aussies, Kiwis, on the ground or in the air, but for me that May 7, 1945 is graved in my memory when that Polar Bear unit entered Amsterdam.
I will prepare a set of pictures and texts for the Documentation Centre at the Canadian War Cemetery in Holten where Don lies. I myself took very few pictures but fortunately others did. I still would like to add some more of the ceremony, especially of the attendance. And next year, April 7, I hope I'll be at Holten with others to lay flowers on his grave; lest we forget....

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

just seeing the photos is quite moving lest we forget

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi guys, just a quick note about our trip to visit the Fife's. We arrived at 10:00 AM Atlantic time on board our bikes and visited with the Fife's for an hour. We received a very warm welcome from the family who had treats and coffee ready for us on a cold damp day. They opened their house up to us and we got to see many photo's and souvenirs relating to Donald. After presenting the plaque, I made sure to tell them it was an international effort orchestrated by Hans with donations coming in from around the globe. They were very touched by this. On a sad note, we learned one of Russell's brothers passed away two weeks ago. We also learned that Donald's death came as he was attempting to back up a jeep after coming under small arms fire. One of the rear wheels hitting a mine and flipping the jeep over. Death was instantaneous and he was buried on the side of the road and then later moved to the cemetery in Holten.
A very memorable trip for all involved. Some photo's were uploaded to a photobucket account by Jim Custeau if anyone is interested in seeing the trip. http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd419/jcuste/Donald%Fife/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Hi Samuel,

I would love to see these photos but for some reason I can't open the link.

Henk

I did something wrong, try this
http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd419/jcuste/Donald%20Fife/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Hello All,

Many thanks to Sam Cormier for his role in the Fife presentation on this side of the Atlantic. Well done Sam!! The Fifes were very gracious in welcoming us into their home and sharing such an important part of their family history with us. It's an experience and memory that I will take with me and cherish for the rest of my life. The link to my Photobucket pictures again is:

http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd419/jcuste/Donald%20Fife/

Thank you Hans, without you this wouln't have happened. Well done!

Best regards to all,
Jim

Great photos, thanks very much.

Henk

samuel nice pictures and great to go and see the relatives i see you trailered the bikes there does the law not allow you to ride them or was it either to dangerous or to far

I've been slack in following the events surrounding the Don Fife Memorial brick, but I am curious about the presentation in Canada- Where does the Fife family live? I am in Nova Scotia and wish I could have been more in tune and able to participate.
I'm actively getting back at my M20 now and hope to be a more active participant on this side of the Atlantic.
Congratulations to all involved in this noble project.
Vincent, Nova Scotia, Canada.

email (option): bsa3man@rocketmail.com

Hi Roger, We had to float the bikes as it was almost a 1000 mile round trip. But there is no problem riding the bikes on the roads, just too far for the old girls! :-) Vincent, they live just ouside Amherst, where are you located?

The vast majority of bikes in France for the Juno ceremony were trailered there as well. Similar considerations and distances. Regrettably, riding the bikes (and therefore avoiding the motorways as they're not really up to that) would mean at least two full days on the road each way.

This is Rob vdB converting his rather clever trailer from single bike to twin on the Wednesday evening before we left for France.

Photobucket

samuel i live in england in north kent just south of london that the trouble if you have to go any distance you have to avoid motorway and the speed of the bikes make for a long journey time thanks roger

Great stuff, well done Henk lovely to see it all finally in place.

Is`nt this what its all about, wonderful and well done to all concerned, Ian.

email (option): ianhince@tiscali.co.uk

Just a quick question on what type of helmet you are seen riding with? Thanks jeff

James Custeau Maine USA
Hello All,

Many thanks to Sam Cormier for his role in the Fife presentation on this side of the Atlantic. Well done Sam!! The Fifes were very gracious in welcoming us into their home and sharing such an important part of their family history with us. It's an experience and memory that I will take with me and cherish for the rest of my life. The link to my Photobucket pictures again is:

http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd419/jcuste/Donald%20Fife/

Thank you Hans, without you this wouln't have happened. Well done!

Best regards to all,
Jim

email (option): jeff@infinitymedspa.com

Hi Jeff, It's the early pattern helmet made of cork and paper mache or something like that. It was replaced by the steel one later in the war.

Nieuwe pagina 1