The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old BSA C15

Hello,
Can anyone help!
We have an old BSA C15, had it for over 30 years. It has been standing in the garage as long as i can remember.
I have recently been trying to trace its background but with no luck... It is painted in army colours with american stars painted on the tank, ect. It even has a serial numer. Can anyone shed any light on the matter as I have been unable to get any leads...I even wonder if it was used in the army at all.
Thanks

Re: Old BSA C15

i think you will find bsa c15s are post ww2 about 1958 ish build date then again could have been used on one of the big US airforce airfield post war the british civil defence used them ie army fire service these would have been post war shiney army green

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hello Mark

Well BSA didn't start making C15's until 1958 so it definitely wasn't a WW2 bike.

I suspect you will find that your bike was "customised" by a young lad in the hippy days of the mid 1960's-70's. It doesn't sound likely to me that it was ever in use by the US Army as it is both small and foreign, neither of which were things that endeared themselves to our transatlantic cousins (at the time, he hastily adds!).

Send off the frame and engine numbers plus a bit of money (£10?) to the BSA Owners Club and they should be able to trace your bike in the BSA records and tell you exactly when it was manufactured and to where it was initially delivered, which may give you a clue.

The DVLA can also provide previous owner information if you registered the bike with their computer system when things changed over in about 1980.

Just seen Roger's response and I guess that's a possibility also.

ChrisJ

hi is it definitely a C15 or is it B40 which is a 350cc model the army used they look simiar cheers

Hi,

if you can quote the engine and frame numbers I will tell you what bike you have.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Re: Old BSA C15 UPDATED

Thanks for all the help. But I am unsure how to use the fornm & who will see this reply.
I have taken some pictures of the bike today which i would like to post on the forum. Is this allowed & if so how do i do it?

No sure where the frame No. is?
The engine number is (C15 6368)
The No. plate is (RKU 469)
The No. on the petrol tank is (USA 20321701)
There is also a name & No. on the small oil tank on the side of the bike (Ordnance motor pool Army No. JN/6/44)

yes you can put them on the forum open a photobucket account which is free once you have put your photos there open post to forum here then open your photobucket site and there will be 3 or 4 lines of data click the 3rd and with a bit of luck it might work some time it doesnt dont know why it a bit of potluck good luck other bsa either have their frame numbers up by the steering head or down near the bottom lug near front engine mount

If it helps, on my C15 I had to scrape the layer of paint from the front engine mount to see the letters and numbers.
Regards
Clive

email (option): cliveandjo@lineone.net

Re: OLD BSA C15 PICTURES

Hello again
If this workes you should be able to see pictures on my late fathers BSA C15.

Any help tracing its past would be very gratefully received.

hi mark going off the date on the toolbox 1944 its about 13 years before it was first made. but somebody made it look like a us army type bike , still be a great project to restore as it is ,these are bringing about £900 in this condition so get your spanners out and have a go . your dad wasnt american by any chance? pleanty of spares available for this bike and a lot of fun .i can only see the gear stick missing .cheers rick

email (option): richard holt@rocketmail.com

i wonder whether it was painted up for a war film just used in the back ground like you watch a film of dunkirk and see a jeep in the back ground

Re: OLD BSA C15

Hi Rick - No my father was not American.
So do I take it that the JN/6/44 stands for the supposed date of manufacture?
I cant help feeling a little sad inside as I remember the day my older brother brought the bike home to our house in Barton-upon-Humber (that was the last time the bike was run). I suppose I just took it for granted that the bike was connected to the army in some way.
Is there no chance it could have been used in the army at all? Its seems such a shame to restore it as a normal bike.

JN/6/44 = June the 6th 1944 or D-Day. Perhaps it was his personal Homage to the D-Day veterans?

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

hi mark 6th june 1944 was d-day definatly no c15sabout then, but why not restore it as it is itll make painting it a lot easier and it will still create a great talking point where ever it goes.take for example steve mc queen in the great escape,nicks a zundapp or a bmw off a german and two minutes later hes on a 1950s triumph but who cares.cheers rick

hi mark heres a thought send a picture to old bike mart they cover a page called your view maybe someone will recognise the bike and fill you in on its history email tbritton@mortons.co.uk alternatively mike worthington -williams runs a great two pager called unearthed where people send him a picture and info about a find he publishes it and readers give feedback he also is the man to help you get the original number plate back email worthycomments@btconnect.com cheers rick

Thanks Rick
I will let you know how i get on..

Nieuwe pagina 1