Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gear box!!!

Hi just trying to rebuild my gearbox but can't get my head around it!! just put in gears turn them about all turning ok going to put the inner cover on but do not know what gear it in now?how can you tell what gear it is in? been on with it for two hours if anyone got any idea it would help!!! thanks keith.

email (option): keithsprague@hotmail.co.uk

Re: gear box!!!

Hi Keith,
if you look at the selector quadrant it has five notches in it, three close together and two spaced apart. The first three are first, neutral and second then third and forth spaced apart.
To make assembly easier place all the shafts into the inner cover plate first, select forth gear, this helps to align the forth gear which is already fitted into the shell. Then fit the shell over the shafts, you might have to move the gearbox sprocket to align the forth gear dogs. hope this helps.

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Hi Matt thanks i try it and see if i can get it!!
first time with this type of gearbox/motorcycle will need lot's of help on the way with this one!!

The gearbox all together now just screwed the inner cover down and found the sprocket rock solid unscrewed bolt slightly and the sprocket moves freely I think it may be the bearring oil retaining plates ?which way should the delve side be top or bottom or has anyone got any ideas do you have to use plates if it's a sealed bearing? Thanks keith.

I can't remember exactly which way those oil washers go but if they are fouling turn them over. If you're using a sealed main bearing then you can remove the outer washer the inner washer is a shim to take up end float on the main shaft.

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Hi thanks Matt for that i try everwhich way you can with this gearbox still locked up when tighten up!!
tried another shell heypresto it's fit's all nice and tight two day's on!! the numbers are the same
66-3030 hopefully the gearbox will work ok once i start work on the rest of the bike thanks keith.

Have you tried removing any shim that there may be on the layshaft? As it may be this shaft that is jamming. It may pay you to put each shaft in seperately to see which is jamming it up. Do you have the inner gearbox cover gasket as the box may be set up for a specific thickness of gasket.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1