Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is this an M20 ?

Hello there,

I've recently discovered that my grandfather also rode bikes, I had thought I was the only one ever, he gave it up after a nasty crash in the late 40's.

I've also very recently discovered this old photo of him sitting astride a great looking bike, I think the picture was taken in 1945 somewhere near Germany.

The photo isn't great but I think it is a BSA and an M20 seems likely ? What do you think ?
Photo Click Here

Thanks
Mike

Re: Is this an M20 ?

Hi Mike, Yes, it's an M20...Ian

That's actually a pretty good picture for a non-official image.

The bike still has it's black-out mask so not that late in 1945.

The '53' with bar above indicates a Corps Field Company, Royal Engineers (background would have been cobalt blue). Unfortunately, the policy of not displaying formation signs on motorcycles and that he's in shirtsleeves means that it's not possible to tell which corps from this photo alone.

Have you applied for his service record ?

The bike had seen a fair bit of service by 1945 as it was a 1940 build under contract C6645. I calculate WM20 24079 - Is it still out there anywhere ?

We need a better scan of that picture Would that be possible Mike?

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

24001 is in the website register...pretty close!.Any idea what the additional piece is on the blackout mask?...Ian

Brilliant !

I'm getting that "i've got to have one" feeling !

I'll do a better scan tomorrow.

Royal Engineers - Field Company 25 I think ?!

Many thanks for your replies
Mike

Rik

The bike had seen a fair bit of service by 1945 as it was a 1940 build under contract C6645. I calculate WM20 24079 - Is it still out there anywhere ?

Not applied for service record yet but Royal Engineers is right and Field Company 25 I think....

Now how do you get to 1940, C6645 and 24079 from that photo ?

Thanks
Mike

Re: Is this an M20 ? Are you sure, Ian?

Not the best pic but it looks like this engine has "stuff" above the head. Could it be some OHV model? Or is it just shadows I'm seeing?

email (option): jonny.rudge@verizon.net

It still has the early (pre war) levers but has been brought up to later war spec with panniers etc. Just like my own M20 which is also 1940. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Henk WM21 2415
We need a better scan of that picture Would that be possible Mike?

Henk

OK slightly better images can be found:

HERE

Very dark image to work with !

Thanks Mike

Mike
Rik

Now how do you get to 1940, C6645 and 24079 from that photo ?

Thanks
Mike

Ah I have read a lot on this site now and think I see how that is arrived at.

Cheers
Mike

WM20

WM20 JHE

WM20 close

Hi Mike,

How did you scan the photo? Some scans are great while others are still a bit blurry. Nice photo, thanks.

Henk

Judging by the 'shirt sleeve order',bright sunshine and trees in full leaf I guess it must have been summer 1945...just after the end of hostilities?...Ian

That's definitely an ordinary, common or garden variety BSA M20 sidevalve. I enlarged and tweaked the image on Photoshop. It's got a broken fin that makes it look a little different, but that's a normal finned flathead up top.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Tim Hanscombe has one for sale which would make a good project...you can contact him via Ron Pier on this forum. The bike is located in Poole..Ian

Mike
Henk: The images are all from a single 1200dpi scan on an oldish flatbed scanner, the middle picture has just been sharpened and had the contrast boosted to within an inch of it's life ! (via Gimp under Mac OSX)

You have to learn me doing that, that looks absolutely great what you did with that photo. Can't you do it again with the complete photo?

Thanks,
Henk

oooh that's nice !

However I think it is a little too 'complete' for me, I'm going to look for something that needs more effort and is maybe a little cheaper.

Wish him all the best with that sale though, however if I win the lottery tonight I'll be back

Cheers
Mike

Nieuwe pagina 1