Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
D-Day celebrations - Virgin Information

No, not that sort, missus...Ron and Ian will be there before me so I know there won't be many of those around on the French coast by the time I get there.

My problem is the delicate one of etiquette on such occasions.

I have an old green bike which was once in the King's service and is marked accordingly, I also have an interest in military history but I've never done the old dressing-up thing.

However, I'm a bit wary of being the only one there in multi-coloured leathers with body armour. Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration as I do have some fairly low-key old fashioned looking mufti (but not the blazer and flannels that the well dressed Norton rider was wearing during the late 1930s - How did they do that with those oily open valves ?)

Will I be inconspicuous in a Barbour jacket and pudding basin or is it expected that I don something green ? I do have a set of post-war coveralls (blagged off a mate in the Army Air Corps) and a genuine leather jerkin, bought when I was hippying it round the fields and wanted to look like Ian Anderson on the cover of the old Jethro Tull Album 'Songs from the Wood' ?

I don't want to upset the gang if they'd rather not be associated with 'farbs'. Would it be a total faux-pas to wear something a bit green or is that considered acceptable with most MV'ers ?

Re: D-Day celebrations - Virgin Information

Hi Rik..Something a bit green will be OK..not everyone goes for the full on uniform. I will have my uniform which I always wear on D Day and will also wear to the 'do' at the Canadian museum..and probably at other times.
However, I will also have green combats and my leather jacket and modern waterproofs to wear as the mood and weather permit.
We will all be doing a Jethro Tull..'Living in the Past'!! ...Ian

I myself will wear a green overall, but with the Polar Bear on the sleeves. I don't have original WW2 gear (except for an original DR helmet), if only for practical reasons: there were few 6'4" Tommies with boots size 12...

email (option): viaconsu "at" planet "dot" nl

rik did the overalls come with the G trousers you might need them if you do some fast cornering

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

henk,
where do you find overalls to fit? cant find anything for the proper sized bloke !

Roger, it's not a flying suit, only a set of fitter's coveralls. Anyway, I run Nortons so I'm used to pulling 3 or 4 g whilst cornering.

The World's Best Roadholder !

The overalls I use are actually beige carpenters overalls that I painted to make them look like a denim uniform. Very nice to wear and available in all sizes.

Henk

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1