Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Toolbox brass plate

What's the general feeling with regard to updating information on the brass plate inside the toolbox. Mine has a stamp from when it was overhauled in the 50's - given I'm doing a full nut and bolt restoration - should I stamp the details on this plate??

email (option): Adh325@hotmail.com

Re: Toolbox brass plate

Hi Andy

It's up to you of course, but I wouldn't mess with an original plate, it's a unique part of the bikes history and we are only temporary custodians. Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

That's sort if what I thought. I might make up another small one to glue on the inside of the tool box somewhere.

email (option): Adh325@hotmail.com

Your M20's history doesn't begin and end with World War Two. EVERYTHING is history. So leave your mark. Discreetly.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

My timing side outrigger plate is stamped..I.W.1984...Ian

Hey Andy, I rebuilt my bike in 1984 and stamped the plate accordingly, after all, it is a record of the bikes history.
Cheers, mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

There you are Andy, the answer is Yes and No

I've never been lucky enough to have an original rebuild plate on any of my bikes, but if I did I would probably remove it and put it in a folder with the other documents and bike history and weld up the holes in the toolbox, because personally I always restore a bike back as close as possible to its (wartime)year of manufacture.

But it really is your choice. Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

you used to be able to buy replica plate you could buy one of these and either put it somewhere on the bike or in your docs i magic marked a b31 engine i rebuilt with the date and who rebuilt on the inside of the crank cases so if someone opens it in the future that know who to blame for the bodges which i haven't made any i hope

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

i have army book 413 which is a vehicle record book, i write all the works in as they are done, you can buy a repro book cheaply keep a vehicle record and not alter the plate or you can stamp the details in as would have been done by the army, if you stamp it the details are there for people to see in another 60 years,books however often disappear over time, it's a personal choice.

Nieuwe pagina 1