Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
norton barrel/piston/liner

I thought I remembered a post where someone mentioned +.080" pistons are available for 16H Nortons...is that correct?...
Alternatively are their any liners available?...I have a fairly good 16H barrel on maximum oversize but one way or another it has to go as part of a major clearout of surplus bits this summer..if it can't be used it will be scrapped...Ian

Re: norton barrel/piston/liner

No, No, Don't scrap it !

NOS Hepolite liners are still around and I'm sure that RGM lists 79mm liners. Norton ohv singles used them up until the mid-sixties.

I've been told that some of the 16H barrels will take an 82mm bore, allowing the fitment of a Big 4 piston but others are getting a bit thin above the base flange. Obviously, the stroke is a lot less than a proper 'Biggie' and there'd be a certain amount of balancing needed.

Hi Rik...I'm reluctant to scrap it..hence the enquiry. I have an 82mm piston so will check to see if the barrel will take it. The 16H has a domed piston doesn't it?...
Is the 16H a 100mm stroke (490cc)..if so a bore out to 82mm would make 528cc..a useful 38cc extra...Ian

Yes Ian, the 16H is domed. The internal head shape differs from the Big 4 but it was Mike Pemberton of 'Pushrod Performance' who told me that it could be done so the problems can't be insurmountable.

The 16H does indeed have the immortal Norton 79 x 100 dimensions which were also used on the pre-war camshaft engines.

16H liners have an OD of 82mm by the way but I believe that they can be very close to breaking through on some cylinders (a bit like 750 Commandos - did they never learn ? )

I'll measure the barrel tomorrow and let you know what I find dimensionally...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1