Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pt Ralph James sx13109 an Australian despatch rider 1942

Troopers.
i saw the entry from a fellow wm20 rider asking about tank markings on a bike.
Here are a photos of Private Ralph James in Syria in 1942 showing his tank marking on the near side of his motorcycle. the second photo is of him when he arrived in Paort Said, a local came out with his camers, tok the photo, took it and later returned and give it to Ralph, this show what a DR was wearing, and he surived.
enjoy
His number SX13109 means he joined in South Australia as SX was allocated to my own state.

Brian Forth

Pt Ralph James sx13109-Pt Said 1942

Pt Ralph James sx13109-1942

email (option): forrthy@picknowl.com.au

Re: Pt Ralph James sx13109 an Australian despatch rider 1942

Nice pictures, thank you for sharing.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Nice picture, it seems the bike is camouflage painted in two colours, look at the rear and front fender, and the tank, a bit like the truck behind it. Does not sem to be just shadows, what do you think? If so, what colors could it be?
/Jerry

email (option): jerry.carlsson@sspa.se

the 29744 number looks like a nice bit of finger painting or is it just in the dust

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I thought the 29744 was the ARN (Army Rego Number) but I had a look and that number and it is a Ford Lorry.
What is that number?
If any Aussies want an ARN for there bike email me.
It looks camo to me.
Thanks for sharing these great photos.
Cheers
Jeff

email (option): acmeaircon@hotmail.com

I just realized that it is not an M20.
Does anyone know what it is.
Cheers

email (option): acmeaircon@hotmail.com

It's an approachable Norton 16H...

email (option): Ferrarakias@hotmail.com

It's an intersting 16H, that's what it is. It appears to be an India Office contract machine - quite a few of those did find their way to the Middle East with units of the Indian Army and at least one frame ended up in Greece, didn't it Kostas ?

It has the characteristic grab handle front mudguard stay, as well as the short wide India bash plate. I can't quite make up my mind if it has horizontal saddle spring studs but it certainly appears to have the 1938 pattern valve lifter cable with the volute spring above the lever.

The horn does appear to have been pinched from an M20 !

I suspect that the hand-painted number on the front guard is the 'movement number' which is associated with the coloured strips next to it. These were usually painted out after arrival and were used to make sure that individual units could find their own transport and kit when disembarking at foreign ports.

The 'C' number has a digit too few for a British sequence and why the 'C' afterwards ?

Is that a contract plate on the side of the rear mudguard? Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

It does look like a 'Caunter' type paint scheme...Ian

I don't think so Ian. The Caunter scheme is distinctive straight lines of two or three colours. If those patches aren't shadows or dirt, then it looks like some random darker colour. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1