Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spitfire fuel catalyst?

Hi there
I think I may have just been fleeced. I got a fuel catalyst at Kempton for 15 quid. It's 2 bits of metal in a plastic mesh. They said put it in Your tank for vintage motorcycles.
I dont know why I agreed to buy one but Yea I'm getting the impression they are of no use.
there is a 6000 mie test period, but no campany contact details!

has anyone else used these things

email (option): hutman80@hotmail.com

Re: Spitfire fuel catalyst?

When I worked for the AA, the test lab did a lot of tests on these so called fuel improvers and found that they did nothing.But having said that I have spoken to many people over the years who swear by them, so try it and come back with your views.

Never used one but snake oil would be my opinion.
The lack of a return address i think says it all.

These have been around for a long time and used to be made by a reputable company (though I can't remember who). They were allegedly developed for the Russians so that spitfire (aircraft) could run on low octane fuel instead of the normal high octane. I don't know if this claim was true but I suppose there must be an air ministry test somewhere!

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

the MG owners club do a lead replacement/octane booster addative which is for old MGs i have heard the story about russian petrol catalyst for spitfires before

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

The catalyst for aircraft fuel was developed by a Frenchman who went to America after the fall of France...the claim at the time was that it could turn 87 octane fuel into 100 octane and that this supply of fuel gave the RAF the edge over the Luftwaffe in the Battle of Britain. Well maybe..surprisingly the effectiveness of the product seems to remain unproven ...Ian

I bought an inline version for my Morris Commercial gun tractor which also had some special magnets inside, the trouble is I have no idea if it did any good. I think it was called "Fuelcat".

By the way does anyone have any magic beans for sale? Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

The catalyst that I remember was some aluminium pellets in a nylon netting 'sock'. The idea was that the aluminium broke down and helped reduce valve seat regression and pinking due to the low octane rating of the fuel.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

what about a bag of lead shot in your tank (dont try this at home children)

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I am still not certain the damage that unleaded fuel does to old knackers like ours.
I have done no head conversions, use no fuel additives and have never noticed any valve regression since unleaded came in.
Ethanol, however, is a begger! Swollen petrol tap rubber on my Enfield led to much head scratching. Although that could just be the fact I have got 3 young children at school.
Regards
Clive

email (option): cliveandjo@lineone.net

Nieuwe pagina 1