Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Div Markings - is this correct

Just trying to get the markings correct for the bike, for 1943.
Would this be acurate.

Photobucket

Just wondering if it would be acceptable to put the 55 on the front mudguard.?
I already have the TT on the right side ofthe tank.
Was thinking of changing the TT that I have on the Left of the Tank to 55.

Re: Div Markings - is this correct

Paul, it rather depends what you mean by 'correct'. According to the 1942 markings publication, formation signs were not displayed on motorcycles after 1941.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1153751&cmd=show

The document goes on to say that motorcycles should carry the Arm of Service marking on both front edges of the fuel tank and also on the rear mudguard.

I can well understand why you'd prefer to have a formation sign visible but it seems that 100% historical accuracy would have been without. Whether that's the best way to display a WD motorcycle these days, when it could be viewed as a tribute to the unit, is a difficult one to decide.

This is what I am getting confused about, as I am trying to do my 16H tank. I don't know what you mean by Arm of Service Marking and formation signs and I can't understand the list of unit numbers on this website or what they refer to. I have no idea what it should look like or what I'm doing. It's all very confusing

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Paul, yes but reverse the Div' Sign and AoS, the Div sign should be on the nearside tank side. As to using these, despite what may or may not have been said about this I have a lot of photographic evidence showing their use in Normandy and beyond. Any further help please ask.

email (option): s_lord@talktalk.net

Dave I also never fully understand the vehicle marking system. Also it was altered several times during the war.
But as a general guidance:- The Div (Division) marking (This is some sort of symbol relevant to that div. Like an animal or plant or something. Is displayed on the left side of a vehicle (front and rear)
The AoS (Arm of Service) Marking is displayed on the Right hand side. This is a square that is coloured relevant to the unit ie Armoured, Infantry, Para, signal, recon, etc.
This square will have a serial number on it (Usually White) to distinguish a Brigade,Battalion,Company,Troop, Squadron etc etc.

All very complicated!! Guys like Rik and both Robs understand it more fully.
I usually find a picture to copy. Try and get hold of "The British Soldier" Vol 2 for some nice colour slides. ISBN 2 908 182 742.

Whew Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ah ok thanks Ron,
Division marking = pretty picture on left
SoA marking = Number in square on right

Got it

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Have been up all night repainting. so this would be correct position.
Obviously they may have been mainly ommitted from vehicles by 1943 but any where left on this would be right i would hope.
What about the front mudguard would they have been generally on this as well.

Photobucket

Stephen Lord
Paul, yes but reverse the Div' Sign and AoS, the Div sign should be on the nearside tank side. As to using these, despite what may or may not have been said about this I have a lot of photographic evidence showing their use in Normandy and beyond. Any further help please ask.

Stephen, would you consider sharing some of those photos because for the life of me, I can't find any. It's not for want of looking including long sessions in the IWM library either.

The Canadians were a bit of a law unto themselves (as perhaps were airborne ) and the BAOR soon dropped the rules but I have searched high and low for formation signs on bikes in NW Europe and drawn a blank other than higher formations (21st Army Gp itself) in 1945 Holland.

Paul, there is photographic evidence of front mudguard AoS numbers but then with the fuel tanks bare. I think that it's a bit 'either / or'.

As far as I can tell as well, oil types and tyre pressures were not commonly shown on motorcycles in 1943.

Rik, I have to confess to misreading your post in so much as you assert that only the AoS was shown which I misread as no badges were shown. Most of the photographs of bikes I have seem to show the AoS, but I do have a few showing the Divisional badge too, enjoy;

Photobucket

Photobucket

And lastly but not leastly, a favourite of mine showing a base workshop in Belgium in early 1945, if you look closely at the bike in the bottom left hand corner the 15th Scottish badge can be clearly seen.

Photobucket

Stephen.

stephen the first photo you posted is quite a late C number at 5125---- it look like post war with the german soldier cleaning the bike and the british army squaddy not armed or kitted out

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Roger, as the 50th infantry division was disbanded in December 1944 I can't quite follow your logic on that one. Besides the census number is perfectly ok as my bike was built in 1942 and was given a 51... census number, (yes it has been researched).

what made me say it was after the war mainly because the british squaddie was not armed and my bikes C numbers start 5118 and 5115 so being 5125 of the bike in your photo i though it was a late issue

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1