Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
front drum brake binding

Hi there
Another request for advice, I am nearly done with this bike. I have pushed it around to test the functionality of the brakes. I found the front brake is very sharp and binds on until the bike stops, then it releases once bike is stationary.
The shoes have plenty of stuff on there.
new cable
i have never experienced this before

email (option): hutman80@hotmail.com

Re: front drum brake binding

Maxwell, if it's an M20 you're talking about, the front brake (as I understand) can be a pain to set up. The brake arm is bolted on a kind of "spline" gizmo, like a multi-pointed star. Trouble is, the adjustment can be crude and doesn't really allow for that perfect balance between on and off, or binding and not binding.

You might need to either have a couple of cables; in which the relative lengths of the inner and outer are slightly different, or find some other way changing the relative lengths (such as a small stepped washer, or length of tubing, or whatever the hell it's called).

The point is, you can't easily make fine adjustments at the brake arm pivot, so you have to think laterally.

On my M20, I've got a set up from JJ Cables which is a stainless steel rod that fits between the lug on the right side of the forks and the brake arm. Above that, a shorter length of ordinary Bowman cable does the job. But the stainless steel rod (with a brass insert) allows for a wider adjustment. I can now set up the front brake easily and perfectly. In fact, I can lock the wheel up without much trouble, but still have sufficient feel for ordinary riding.

You might also file a small bevel on the leading edge of the brake shoes and check for ovality in the drum. Beyond that, I haven't a clue. I'm already out of my depth and swimming desperately for the shore.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Re: front drum brake binding

Hi there
its the 7" bsa half width hub, which is similar I spose.
I cleaned the drum and shoes with petrol, now it does not stop the bike at all
Although it does have the characteristics of a normal drum brake now, but with absolutely no stopping power
Hoping it's just due to lack of use.

email (option): hutman80@hotmail.com

Re: I meant "Bowden" not "Bowman" - whoops!

Maxwell. Just re-read my earlier post. I meant Bowden cable, of course, not Bowman. Don't know what I was thinking of.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Re: I meant "Bowden" not "Bowman" - whoops!

the shoes on most drum brakes use the rotation of the drum to throw them off as is the same when the shoes grip the drum they wiil want to expand and grip more drum brake dont work so well in reverse i have gone to cars that the rear shoes have stuck on because they have been standing for a time with the handbrake on and will not release in reverse but as soon as you go forward they release so i would see what happens when you ride it carefuly

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1