Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
N.O.S 16H carb body

Hi all, I have managed to get hold oh four new old stock Norton 16H 276/406 carb bodies. They are all boxed and 1944 dated. The price is £30+ postage.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
If anyone is interested, please let me know.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Re: N.O.S 16H carb body

Nice Mick. I have an M20 piston in a 1944 box. Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Mick, I don't suppose that you've found any Norton jet blocks, have you ?

Rik,

I think I can find those. Give me more info on the Jet blocks and I will seek.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Mick, I would like to buy one please. Cheers John

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

Sorry Rik, no jet blocks. No problem John, do you want me to post one, or can you wait until we meet in Normandie?
Cheers, Mick.

Mick,

On my original carb body is written 276/011.
Do you know if the body you have will work OK?

On the body of my other 16H is written 276AE/1BE.

Do these numbers mean that there are differences?

Kostas

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Kostas. The Amal catalogue quotes 276AE/1BE for ex WD 16H 1940-45. But any 276 carb body that is fitted with the appropriate parts will work just the same.
The body number 276/406 is correct for WD 16H. It would seem that a complete carb would be stamped after assembly whereas individual parts a stamped with just their part number. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Kostas, I have mislaid my Amal books at the moment, but from memory 276AE/1BE is the complete carb assembly number, while 276/011, like 276/406 is a spare body number. Ive just checked my 16H and I have a 276/406 boy fitted.
There's one left if you are interested.
Cheers, Mick.

Mick,
I'll take it if it's not too late.
Kostas

email (option): Ferrarakias@hotmail.com

No problem Kostas, its yours. Could you mail me your address?, I can't find it at the moment.
Cheers, Mick.

but there could be a problem with these carb bodies they for air ministry bike use they might not fit wd bikes

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Not quite Roger. Most of these parts carry the RAF part number as well as the Army (MT) part number Ron

Mick Holmes
No problem Kostas, its yours. Could you mail me your address?, I can't find it at the moment.
Cheers, Mick.

Mick,
Email sent!
Kostas

email (option): Ferrarakias@hotmail.com

As Ron implies, the Amal numbering system is so random that it's difficult to follow.

Early and pre-war 16Hs were fitted with a carb stamped 276/011 togther with a 264/069 float chamber. The problem with this sytem is that it didn't show the float chamber type within the specification number so the 069 float chamber was renumbered as the 1DJ and the complete carb as the 276A/1DJ.

At some point, the carb was renumbered 276AE/1BE but I can't fathom out what actually changed. It may have been the fitment of the stainless steel needles and needle jets. It's not clear from the cards if this was a later modification or always part of the spec with this number. The bare mixing chamber body for this carb was the 276/406.

As far as I can tell, possible bodies for the 16H are :-

276/011
276A/1DJ
276AE/1BE
276/406

...and then of course there are the Big 4 carbs which will fit too.

I suppose that a Norton carburettor jet block is the same as from an M20 carburettor?

Henk

Bloody Amal numbers again!! The WM20 jet block is # 206/058R, the 16H # is 206/058. I presume the 'R' is for Right....So where is the difference? Since both would be classed as right hand carbs. Surely it's nothing to do with the float bowl side ? Ron

That would make this a BSA jet block I suppose?

Henk

Amal jet block

Looks exactly right Henk. I wonder what the 'R' is Ron

But, when I see Mick's carburettor body this jet block would go straight in or am I mistaken about that?

Henk

The 'R' stands for revised. The WD16H had the first of the 276 types. It was probably developed in conjunction with Nortons as the first mention of it that I can find is for air filter equipped India Office machines.

During 1939, the design of the 276 pilot airway was revised and as far as I can tell, the new design was adopted generally as a replacement for the Type 76 but Nortons stuck with the earlier type. I don't know whether 16Hs run better with the early non R type or whether they didn't want to revise the spares inventory.

Photobucket

The Norton Type 276 has a smooth inlet track but the back of the jet block is machined flat and has two small holes for the pilot air.

The 'R' has a slot machined in the carb body and the block lacks the flat surface.

I don't unfortunately have a spare jet block to photograph but the picture above into the carb mouth gives an idea.

The Norton jet block, being pretty well unique to the model is hard to find which is odd as NOS bodies are everywhere.

Martin Bratby has said that he would cut the top off a worn one and solder on a new upper part for me but that seems a bit extreme if someone has a box of 'R' jet blocks that they don't know what to do with !

A jet block is build up from two halves and are soldered together. A worn top half can easily be removed by heating it and be replaced for a good one. I have a tiny little box with NOS jet blocks.

Henk

amal

jet block

Do you still have any?
Thanks,
Ben.

email (option): nortonbenno@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1