Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
oil leak

I have a problem... The bike has a oil leak but I can't see where it comes from... it is on the leftside of the bike and it don't can come out the primair chaincase becaurse there is no oil in! Where o where does the oil come from....

email (option): bnuchelmans@home.nl

Re: oil leak

Bjorn, there are really only two places that it can be. Most likely it's from the gearbox. The oil can run through the big bearing that supports the sleeve gear where the chain sprocket is. Should you ever have to rebuild your gearbox you can buy a bearing that is sealed instead of the original open type.
The other place is the drive side main bearing on the engine. This is generally only a problem if your engine is prone to wet sump. These are never known to be totally oil tight, as there is only a thin steel shield to stop the oil leaking. But it will leak into your chaicase. It would then overfill your chaincase and splash round and exit from behind your clutch. Again you would need a total strip of the engine to replace the seal or bearings, and never worth it till you need to. My guess is it's your gearbox leaking. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Is there any one on here that doesn't have an oil leak?

try putting a 2 cm ish block of wood under the chaincase side of the rear stand so it leans i do this and it stops my g/box from dripping i do it nearly every time i park it

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Dear Ron,

what is the best thing to do???? Repair the gearbox or let it leak and just check more frequent the oil level?

Hi Bjorn, My M20 doesn't have a sealed bearing fitted in the gearbox yet...I am planning to do it this winter when I rebuild the bike.
Until then I will just keep an eye on the oil level.
It needs to be checked and topped up about every 500 miles to keep plenty in there...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

though it looks like a pint/half litre has leaked out every time you stop i check mine quite regularly i can still touch the oil through the filler hole so not a lot is lost over all

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi Bjorn. As Ian and Roger state. Just keep the oil level topped up. If your gearbox is working ok, then no real need to rebuild it....unless you want to. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

thanks for all the help!!
I thing the best thing to do is regular check the oil level and fill when nessasary! And when i rebuild the gearbox i will put in the sealed bearings!

Thanks for all the help!

Nieuwe pagina 1