Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WDM20-Military Service History

Hi

I have a 1941 BSA M20 with matching engine / frame numbers.

Also have a contract number of C7287

Was wondering if there is any way of finding the military history from this...?

Thanks

Mark

email (option): markbancroft4@hotmail.com

Re: WDM20-Military Service History

What are the numbers of your bike? My bike is from december 1941 and has WM2042506.

Hi
Number 47599

Hi Mark,

Your frame number isn't in the military key cards we have. It will be hard to find out the history of your bike I am afraid.

The BSA in this photo has a tank number quite close to what your BSA had during the war. Your BSA would have looked pretty much the same as this one.

Henk.

C4562287

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Henk

Thanks for that ,And does pretty much look the same as the one in the photo thanks .

Mark

hi henk ilove m20s i bought one in 1971 for £1.25 i relucantly sold it in 1977 for £15.00 it was registered nto 134 f in great britain and would like to know if you know any more about it i believe the engine was put in a combination may still be around now i want another its going to cost me i have some photos maybe you would like to see im not very good on computers as you may see as there is no punctuation but would be good to hear from another enthusiast cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi Rick,

It's always good to see pictures of M20's and see how they were used in the 1970's. I wouldn't really know how to find out if your bike is still around but there are lots of visitors on the forum from England and who knows.

Henk

The BSA owners club could perhaps help you to an extent , if you request a machine dating cerfiticate from them (they charge a fee of £10) . They need pencil rubbings of the frame and engine numbers plus photos of the assembled bike . They cant always help but sometimes they have all manner of information on a machine's history , going on despatch records . Its a question of pot luck . I was amazed how much they could tell me about a non UK registered U.S. export A65 that I've got . You may not find out as much as you hope for but it's worth a try .

email (option): leifevans75@yahoo.co.uk

I have these certificates for my own bike but they don't have that much information. For the early bike they have some information but just basic. For the slightly later bikes all they have it that they went to the war office. Not really worth 10 pounds to my opinion history wise, here in Holland they do help with getting licence papers for a bike without them.

Henk.

Hi all

If the contract number is the same as another bsa m20 does it mean they went to the same place. Or at least to the same barracks....?? Then shipped from there if anywhere

Sorry do not know alot about it.?

email (option): glenjohn_smith@hotmail.co.uk

i dont want to be a spoil sport but there is a possibilty that because the frame and engine are matching that is was never issue to a unit as it probably never been overhauled just straight from the storeage depot to disposal sale

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Speaking of all this , does anyone know what the letters B.A.O.R. stand for on the key cards? My guess is 'British Army Overhaul and Rebuild' , but that's only a guess . In the case of my own bike the record is 'B.A.O.R. O/S CR' , I think the last bit might mean 'Overseas , Crete' because thats where I bought the bike . If anyone knows better I'd be glad to be corrected and enlightened . Thanks , Leif .

email (option): leifevans75@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Leif, BAOR "British Army On the Rhine", this was the army of occupation in Germany at the end of WW2 that then became our front line in the cold war.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

O/S is probably 'off strength', usually they show 'struck of strength' or 'taken off strength' - this could apply to men or machinery (and probably horses as well).

Did the British garrison Crete post-war ? If not then it probably got there privately.

Nieuwe pagina 1