Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fork Linkage Bushes material

Hi
An aviation engineer here in SA is making my new Girder bushes out of a material called Vesconite. It is perfect for the job and can be machined. They use it on the planes. Below is a link.

http://www.vesconite.com/

Re: Fork Linkage Bushes material

Sounds good, but I can't find it for sale here in Holland.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

There's a toll free telephone number for the Netherlands...+31 202010110. For the UK 0800 731 9745..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Both my bikes need new bushes and I might have a go with other materials this time. Do you know this stuff Ian?

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Not specifically Henk but I have used the Delrin mentioned in another post and other materials from the same 'family' whilst I was in the Engineering game.
I have a NOS set of forks which I am planning to fit at the end of the year.
The plan was to alter the grease nipple layout so that each bush had its own grease nipple..however, I may try to source this material in bar form (it is available as barstock) and replace the bushes.
As well as being more tolerant to erratic lubrication a big factor with this material is the claim that it drastically reduces the wear in mating components...in other words it could have the benefit of substantially extending the life of the link pins...and that must be good...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian
The engineer who is making the bushes for me out of Vesconite laughed at me when i asked him to make new metal bushes....he swears by the stuff.

Harley big twin breather gears were made of a nylon material similar to Delrin (it could even be Delrin) and they usually caused wear in the crankcases due to any foreign bodies being embedded in the softer Delrin and turning it into a kind of honing stone, the fork bushes are in a pretty hostile enviroment so possibly the links could suffer if any grit got caught up in there. what was strange is that the steel breather gears never caused any wear in the cases, but could suffer more if a large foreign object got caught in there.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1