Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum picture

Another Norton with those fork dents in the tank! I'm stiil not quite sure how this can happen, but it looks like a common feature Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Forum picture

Yes, that ones had a real clout, that's a deep dent.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

back in 1970 I had a dent in my Bonnie tank in the same place, but I had hit a Austin Cambridge up the rear, didint do the front end any good at all

i bet you didnt even mark the austin cambridge

Well it did not do his rear light cluster a lot of good, and as I slid over the roof and bonnet the landing diddint do my knee's a lot of good, but what really ticked me off, 6 the next morning the traffic police knocking on my door, I was fined £10 driving with undue care, & £2 for no horn, + 3 points

No points on the licence during the 1970s, Colin. Just the old 'three endorsements in three years' rule. I know because I got four endorsements in two years. I cleverly delayed the two last court appearances until October, expecting to be banned for the winter and the bastards disqualified me for a year !

Those dents are a puzzle. I left them in my tank as I was convinced that the first time it fell off the field stand, I'd knock the filler out but it doesn't come close and I can't work out how the fork tubes could twist so far round and not need a rebuild afterwards.

I recon they used a 3/4" socket bar and a big hammer in an attempt to give the bike a cool competition look Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I noticed the dent in your tank Rik, but didn't mention it as I know your bike stand slipped away
I have exactly the same dents in my 16H tank but I will be filling them.

You are right Rik, was endorsements, I still have my red licence somewhere,also got some photo's (somewhere) of fitting the replacement forks, like a lot of blokes at the time was only 3rd party, had to pay for my damage, and only earning £11 a week in 1970. Happy days

I had a similar accident in 1970, a guy turned across my path and I spanked the front of his car. The bumper sliced my right Achilles tendon and I had headlamp glass in my knee as a souvenir. I slid across the bonnet and landed outside a pub, where the patrons came out and stuffed bar towels under my head. I stank like a brewery. Luckily, as it turned out, the guy was Irish and working on 'The Lump'. The police went to his house and he'd done a runner and they thought he may have been IRA! I got paid out by my own insurance as the bike was a write off.

The guy wasn't a terrorist, unless you count economic terrorism.......

For those who don't know, 'The Lump' was a method used by Irish workers to avoid paying UK or Irish Taxes. By swopping identities (driving licenses, self employment cards etc.) it was hard to prove who owed what to who. Nice work if you could get it.

Either the tank came as a result of a rebuild. i.e. from a wreck with smashed forks, or he'd had a serious high-side.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

With the wheel turned hard to one side or the other and the fork bottoming out, would it hit? If the bumper bolts that limit steering movement aren't in place I think it will hit. When I first got the bike they weren't on and it seems to me I put a small ding in the tank that way. Bike isn't here so I cant run out and look. It's bugging me now.

Ooops, my bad, it was the bottom spindle that hit the tank without the steering bumpers.

This is also a nice pic showing the 'Norton' tool roll. Back in the '80s, The local dealer, "British Only" got a group of 6 M20s in stock, all still exactly as they had been auctioned, along with a big box of depot-labeled tools, and pannier bags. These tool rolls were the type found in this box,and I was fortunate to grab two, and fill them with all the various tools in the box. Both my rolls are '44 dated.

Photobucket

email (option): m20wc51@yahoo.com

Wow that is an excellent find and collection of tools

Is it me or does it look like the mechanic is about to kick the bottom of the tyre/ wheel he is working on?
The leg and foot are a little blurry as if in motion.
If it is a well placed kick I can quite understand the feeling I've had it on numerous occasions when working on a bike!
Clive

email (option): cliveandjo@lineone.net

Re: Forum picture Tool Roll Bag repros made?

Hey Doug,

Do us a favor and expose the whole bag from all angles so i can get some copies made.
Tape measure would be handy as well with the pics dimensions.
Have plenty of canvas here in SMVA to make few copy's same with tool holding loops and tool roll buckle secure strap.

Many thanks if you can.
Sure there are a few seamstress and shoe shops leather shops all round the country can make a good copy.
Have a local guy here making Y Straps for Panniers.
Keep Britain in work!!
Make it here!

Re: Forum picture Tool Roll Bag repros made?

I think this is an original one:

Tool roll Hans 1

Tool roll Hans 2

Tool roll Hans 3

I can mail you off list the dimensions!
Hans

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Nieuwe pagina 1