Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fork linkage bushes material

I was curious if any one has had success in using different material to make the bushes 66-5065. I have NOS linkages so I wanted to replace the bushes before I put it together. With all the modern wear material on the market I was hoping some one might have a idea on what to use. As I would rather replace the bushes again in the future than the linkages
Regards Michael

email (option): michael@nammech.com.au

Re: Fork linkage bushes material

just a note i was looking at my M20 that is as demobbed no even civi registered there is a steel washer between the top two links and the top yoke say 1mm thick there are not any on the other link ends puzzled

Hi Michael..I haven't experimented with alternative bush materials but either Teflon or Nylon may work out OK. Both are available in barstock form and both are used fairly commonly as bushing materials..it's really a case of suck it and see. There is some info, on bush materials on the internet that I was looking at a while back...these days there are multiple choices that you could try...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian I thought I should get the front end ready for the new spring

email (option): michael@nammech.com.au

A guy here in Holland used some modern material to replace the original bushes for his BSA Slooper. This should be maintenance free and long lasting. I can email him if you want to ask what he used.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Henk..It would be interesting to know..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

what about the polyurethane bushes that they use for landrover suspension they do soft and hard ones even as the spacer between the links and yoke/forks

I have send this guy an email but I didn't get a reply yet. It's the smart guy from Holland that has been making front brake rods and oil pressure indicators. Here a link to his website. It's in Dutch but the drawings might be of interest.

http://www.gerardenneeltje.nl/bsa.htm

Henk

I just received some info on the bush material, unfortunately it's in German. The guy that used these bushes for his BSA Slooper bought them at a company called INA Naaldlagers in a town in Holland called Harselaar.

Henk

Photobucket

Photobucket

If you need a translation I can give it a go.
Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Guys
As a Semi retired Maintenance Engineer I have Had some experience with "Plastics" in this Service.

I would Steer Clear of Polyurethanes as although they are excellent bushing materials they are for your average backyarder extremely Difficult if not impossible to machine to the Tolerances required in Bushings

The recommendation would be A Product I know as Delrin which is a Glass reinforced Nylon Composite It can be Machined easily although it is tough on tools it has the requisite strength.

Is dimensionally stable Over the range of temperatures a Fork Bush would see it may be marketed under a different name in other parts of the World?

email (option): grumpy.moran@gmail.com

oh well back to the bronze bushes

I used a company that manufacrured Injection Moulded bushes, ( Top Hat ), and tube lengths, called Nyloc.
Very high precision tolerances and available in Small and Large quantities.
Have a search for them and see what they have to offer.
Sizes were in Imperial as well as Metric.

Also, a quick search came up with :- http://www.powerflex.co.uk/

Have Fun !
RAF 50907

Sorry folks, Nylonic has gone out of business.
Try http://www.watfordplastics.com/materials.html
As they took over Nylonic business interests.
Same efficient service I found.

Final comment !
Try :- http://www.watfordplastics.com/all.pdf

FULL of information.
Cheers !

Nieuwe pagina 1