Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Despatch rider coats

Has anyone experience of preserving/waterproofing the rubberised despatch rider coats. I know they are inheretantly stiff as cardboard but can you treat them and get some flexibility back?
Many thanks
Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Re: Despatch rider coats

I guess it's the rubber that makes it so stiff and I can't see how you get that ok again while it stays waterproof. I sold a coat some time ago which was in good condition with a few stains from use. The new owner had put it in the washing machine and that proved to be a very bad idea. What ever you do with it don't involve the use of a washing machine, it destroyed the coat completely.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Don't treat the coat with anything!!! Just start wearing it, it's going to be annoying in the beginning, but it will get better.

Some things that get hard and stiff, need a good rubbing to get them soft again Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron beat me to that one.

I have two of these coats. One has been beaten soft
The other not so much. No harm keeping a stiff one around for a rainy day.

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

Re: Despatch rider coats and Into Fetish Rubber!!!

For the racing snake "Rubber Coat Flashing Brigade".
There is a guy i know selling a new "spanker" coat DR 1944 for 5ft 8" frame not bad price as well under a £100 quid still in its pressed form never worn and packaged also a pair of size 8 DR Boots new as well.
Lives in Bonny Scotland in Allness north of Inverness.
I was talking to him at The SMVA @ Bridge of Earn swap meet last month..was tempted,i can contact him if there are any Kinky Fetish Flashers around into Rubber and Big coats?.... interested? let us know.
Im sure Tommy knows the guy as well,has a Butchers shop there in that beautiful part of the world.
Can imagine the Flak you get stopping your bike and going for a pint!!!
...Go on get into Rubber!!!

Re: Despatch rider coats and Into Fetish Rubber!!!

I was wondering if a silicone grease applied to the outside may help, the only problem is that it would take a while to get through the fabric to soften the rubber, maybe it would be better to use it and then wash off the surplus on the fabric with a soft detergent. Silicon grease is very good at keeping rubber soft and stopping it from perishing. It is always a good idea to store the jackets in a cool dark space with good air circulation, and to store it as it would be worn rather than folded up (basically the same way as storing a tyre)I too bought a brand new one for £20 but I have never worn it yet, maybe it is time I did just to keep it pliable

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1