Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off for the weekend...

The M20s all loaded and I'm off shortly for a nice weekend at the Cobbaton Combat Collection in North Devon. During the weekend we will be going to Braunton Burrows where pre D Day training took place, so there will be some off road fun with the bikes and lorries along the sand and dirt tracks that cover the area..Royal Wedding?..what Royal Wedding? ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Off for the weekend...

Ian, give my regards to Isaac please!
And have fun!!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

ian you have missed it i can send you recording if you want you can watch it while having a few beer in the evening at cobbaton with your mates maybe mrs wright would like to see it

Here a few pictures from Saturdays road run across Braunton Burrows

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Yeeees...6-8" of deep, soft sand and a steep gradient was too much for the M20 (and me!)..it was pretty uncontrollable and sank fast! Even the Jeeps struggled to get to the top with plenty of throttle and a degree of bravery needed.
After two attempts I had to find another way to the beach along a narrow, winding path through the dunes which itself took some negotiating!
The 'Burrows' is a very interesting area, 10,000 American Assault troops were sent through there for intensive beach assault training prior to D Day.
Bunker Assault and demolition, overcoming beach obstacles, beach landings from landing craft and all the other skills needed to assault the coast of France were developed and practiced here by Infantry and Engineers.
The two concrete walls and ramp that can be seen in one of Robs photos with the 'Jimmys' in the background were in fact concrete 'landing craft' used to practice the loading and unloading of vehicles...we had a great day riding around the numerous tracks that varied from gravel through shallow sand to the deeper stuff, and looking at the remains of the different structures that were built at the time.
The area is still used by the British Army for pre Afghanistan training so perhaps not that much has changed....Ian

Here is a picture I missed of Ian successfully getting up a sandy hill.

Photobucket

And here are a couple of his latest timing setting "gizmo" being put to very good use, thank you Ian Rob.

Photobucket

Photobucket

But was your timing out Rob?
Very impressive timing kit Ian has there! Knocks my fire lighter matchstick and 1 1/2 thou feeler into a cocked hat. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron..It was out when we took the old mag off ...Nothing like a bit of field maintenance to brighten up the day...Credit where it's due though..it was Joe Rosson who was kind enough to make me up the tooling to hold the clock gauge and register the pistons position..a beautiful piece of work...Ian

Hi Ron, I don't actually know if it was out or not, but I fitted another mag so it had to be done.

And I'm not sure I will be investing in this new technology, I still had to put the mag pinion on 4 times before Ian was satisfied. Rob.

'Practice makes perfect'..and I do like to get it within .005"... ...Ian

I can't say I've ever got one on first time? Something always moves. I'm waiting for someone to invent an adjustable pinion Ron

Someone has Ron..the prototype has been under test on a running machine and has proved successful.
Next job is to sort out volume production.(the hard bit!)
The modified assembly will fit all M and B Series models and will knock the timing problem on the head once and for all...Ian

Good! Once you are under production, I want 2X Norton, 2X Matchless, 2X Triumph, 1 Velocette, 1 Arie........... Ron

I'll have 3 as well!!
Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Next you'll be wanting different dates on them as well ...Initially for BSA fitment only ...Ian

I will definatly be be up for one

Nieuwe pagina 1