Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question about dip switches.

Jiri has made these rather nice repro dip switches. Although I'm not sure about what he is telling me?
He says the one on left with short trigger is pre war and the long one is post war?? What are your thoughts.
Rik, Lex, Mick, Steve.

Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Question about dip switches.

Yes, I looked at them too, but never seen the left one before?! that doesn't mean much ofcoarse, but the long one is on some pictures I have of prewar WD bikes, but with a matt chrome cover, which is not present at all here???

And there's another type, with the small triangular lever:

I believe these are postwar, have some of the chrome brackets if anyone needs them?

Here's what Rob says on the Norton WD site:

http://www.wdnorton.nl/Electrical_equipment_page/Early%20dipswitch%20Lucas.jpg

And that's what Jiri makes!! but don't have an original picture on a Norton of that one.

Hope this helps?? I'm more and more confused!!!

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Did find this dipswitch on a BSA picture, with Tallflow "Vokes" filter, Henk will know more about it I presume, but Jiri's dipswitch is on it, the one with the long lever.

Love this "rivet counting" !!!!

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Henk had this headlight +loom for sale a couple of years ago and it appears to have the long handle.

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Thanks chaps. That confirms what I was thinking. I might have bought one from Jiri!! But at £33.50 and him insisting it was post war. I decided to leave it. Hopefully Mick will be getting a cheaper model in stock soon.

Ron

Trawling through the Lucas books, the pointed lever version is 31482, fitted to most bikes from 1936 to 1955, but specifically to M20 from '45-'49 (31405 fitted '37-'39 on back of lever) and 16H from '36-'54.
The small round lever type appears to be 31482A, fitted to a few models 1958-62.
The one Lex shows with the chrome clamp is 31220, fitted to BSA all models '50-'55.
HOWEVER, Lucas parts books are notorious for inaccuracies!!
When we have the 31482 etc in the will be around the £20.00 mark.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Great thanks Mick. If you think about it can you let us know when you have them. I also want the 31405 for my pre war BSA levers. Cheers Ron

Alex

And there's another type, with the small triangular lever:

I believe these are postwar, have some of the chrome brackets if anyone needs them?

Lex

This one comes from a 1940 Royal Enfield catalogue:

Part number 380 501...??? Anyway, I'm looking for one of these!

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

now that one is strange Jan, it somehow proved that lever alredy exited during the war. i bought the headlamp/loom Ray posted some years back. its strange, a small headlamp with half of the reflector painted like the older 8 incho ones that used the manilla paper mask. the lever on that dip switch is the long lever variety indeed.

Lex, pls Xk ur email.....

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Re: Question about dip switches./ JUST GOT SOME 31405 IN

Hey Ron, 31405 switches just come in from the States.
Price has gone up though, I'm afraid they are £33.60 with the VAT, OUCH!
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Re: Question about dip switches./ JUST GOT SOME 31405 IN

Thanks Mick I'll start saving But when do the matching horn buttons come in? Or do you know the ref number? Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1