Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 clutch spring compressor tool

Whenever I replace the clutch spring on the WM20, I use the little bolt compressor thingy to compress the ring nut (through the spring) and secure it to the hub (I don't know if it's possible to get that spring compressed without a bolt).

However, there's a point where, having compressed the spring a certain amount, the ring nut thread engages. Here's the query; is it possible to accidentally damage that thread? Or does it pretty much always engage whenever it has the opportunity? Or is there some other tip here?

I always get an anxious moment waiting for that point where the thread begins to wind on. Any thoughts, anyone?

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Re: M20 clutch spring compressor tool

Danny. I have posted this picture before. This is the kind of tool Ian and I use. It puts separate pressure on the spring alone and none on the ring nut. I think there could be a tendency to get the nut cross threaded using the BSA tool/idea. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Danny..The standard clutch spring compressor tool is pretty poor. It is very easy to get the nut cross threaded and if you then try to screw it on a damaged nut is the result. When using this tool if the nut goes tight immediately back it off and try again. Also check the nut on the clutch sleeve first without the spring to ensure it engages the thread well and turns freely.
After a particularly traumatic battle with two clutch jobs I did a few years back I designed my own tool which makes the job a doddle..I can send you a drawing if you have a friendly machinist that can make it up..it is a fairly simple job....Ian

Thanks Ron and Ian. It looks like I've been lucky so far. It seemed to me very easy to cross-thread. What would you guys charge for one of the tools? Or wouldn't it make sense in terms of time?

If you've got a price in mind, please let me know. If you're too busy, or whatever, it's really no problem. I could certainly use the drawing.

The bolt-tool that I've got lives in the M20 toolbox and will be used as an emergency roadside tool from now on. I'm glad I made this post.

And Ron, thanks for posting that picture again. I can't remember seeing that before (but you know how it is with age, especially you two - who, come to think of it, are probably only a year or two older than me).

FOOTNOTE: I've been studying Ron's picture. It looks simple enough. Could probably make one myself - except that I don't understand the purpose of the ally ring. Can someone explain that, please? Also, what piston is it?

Only an M20 piston please!!

Hi Danny..The alloy ring is recessed on the back as well (the side you can't see) and it sits on top of the spring. The hole through the center is big enough for the nut to just pass through. So, you put the spacer on the spring, place the nut inside it and then screw the bolt with the 'piston' on it into the mainshaft nut. The 'feet' of the piston sit on the outside of the ring and are centralised in the recess on that side.
When you tighten the nut the 'piston' and the ring compress the spring and leave the nut 'floating'.
When you have compressed the spring enough to expose the end of the sleeve you can get your fingers in through the slots in the 'piston' and screw on the nut a few turns without having to deal with spring pressure..it's very easy. Once the thread is well engaged back off the nut to release the spring against the nut, remove the tool and tighten the nut fully home as normal...Ian

Ian, thanks for that. Do you have the time to make me one? Or does it take more effort than it's worth, commercially speaking? Unfortunately, I don't have a lathe to make the alloy ring.

Hey Ian, I sure would appreciate a drawing of that compression tool, it's exactly what I'm looking for, the darn nut sure gets crossed threaded and it takes a few tries to get it right.Thank you in advance

email (option): webby.stash at gmail.com

Hank, Danny and anyone else.
Here are my efforts at relaying the size of the spring tool I have here.
Some of the measurements need not be the same. As long as the ring sits on the spring and you can get the ring nut through the centre. Ron

First picture.

Photobucket

Second picture. (I need someone to teach me how to post multiple pictures)?? Ron

Photobucket

That's brilliant Ron, thanks a bunch. I sure do appreciate the info and the effort. I will definitely get one made up when I get back home and will get back to you on it.

Nieuwe pagina 1