Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interesting Model X Matchless

John Tinley is rebuilding this Matchless V twin with sidecar. I'll post a picture of an original outfit when it arrives. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Interesting Model X Matchless

And here is as far as he's got with the sidecar so far. He's hoping to take it to Normandy in June. Ron

Photobucket

Ron, seems he made it shorter then the original, did he make drawings???

The pictures are IWM copyright, so don't post them all!!!

Did you manage to find the right mag platform??

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

OK Lex I didn't think about copy rights I have no idea how John got his measurements...Perhaps he can comment.
I did get a mag platform that I think is correct. I need some spec from Rik or you. Ian seems to think it's Mazak.
Michiel from Holland just beat me to it, but then he felt sorry for me and let me have it for the purchase price of £3 ....Cheers Michiel. Ron

Ron, are you talking about the 16H mag platform ?...Welcome to the Monkey-metal owners Club !

I suppose that pre-war was proper cast alli. Post war certainly was but with the wrong offset. The cast ferrous ones fit and then we have the squared-off slightly heavier ones that must be a bit zinc-based. It's all that I could find quickly with the correct offset too.

I really don't know where the monkey-metal ones fit into the scheme of things as no-one in the past even seems to have bothered to put the fact into print or internet. I'm just glad to have one that lets everything line up.

Yep my knuckles are well and truly dragging on the ground. Some time this week I'll send you a pic with measurements. Maybe you can compare with yours. Ron

Ron Pier
Yep my knuckles are well and truly dragging on the ground. Some time this week I'll send you a pic with measurements. Maybe you can compare with yours. Ron

I'll be in Normandy Ron. If you want to look at mine or measure it, you can lie on your back and view it from underneath !

Looks very good hope to see it in Normandy, and hope to have mine ready for Oosterbeek

email (option): bram@ockhuizen.com

RIK! WHAT! You mean you didn't make me a detailed drawing when you had the chance?.....Shame on you

Sorry Ron, I just wanted to fit it and because I'd had to swap the wrong 'un for it, I didn't have any to compare.

The mazac one is in the middle in this photo (hastily taken with my new mobile wot 'as a camera in it)

Photobucket

The 1938 pattern (also for 1946/7) is the long one to the right. The crucial thing is the position of the screw holes in relation to the mounting face.

I'm not sure about the right hand one in the photo, it had been got at with a file.

Thanks Rik. I'll know for sure when I get round to taking it apart. Ron

Lovely Model X...I'm only a bit jealous ...Ian

Cast Iron

When were the mag platform in cast iron used? About the same time as the cast iron G3L timing covers?

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Re: Cast Iron

You're probably right Henri. There was a need to save aluminium where possible to aid in the making of Spitfires. Ron

Re: Cast Iron

Here's one picture that's been here on the forum before,

Lex

Hi all, As you can see my X project is progressing well. The Bike is a 1939 Model X Matchless, which is a 1000cc sidevalve V-twin. The bike is original and I have done some work to it but not restored it. The sidecar has been made from very amature drawings and measurements that I scaled from the photos. The Bren gun ammo box at the front gave me the height and the gun itself was a good scale for the length. It's actually a bit longer than the Big 4 sidecar but does not look it in the photo. Cheers, John

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

Very nice John, do you know who made these sidecars and who used them? Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Rob Miller
Very nice John, do you know who made these sidecars and who used them? Rob.

Rob, It's the Royal Scottish Fusiliers at Frinton,

"Something to be intoduced to the Regiment, Anti Tank Rifle fitted to a motorcycle sidecar. With the 6th Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers at Frinton"

Date 7 September 1940

Photographer Mr. Puttnam

Series of 4 photographs from the IWM

Let me know if you find any additional info please.

Lex

Very nice John, lovely twin. Any idea what kind of weapon that was in the side car, I haven't seen that before. (To be honest looks about as likely to stop a tank as the choclate tea-pot I got for Easter ;-)

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

i think it is a boys anti tank rifle i dont know if that the correct way to spell it

Yes Roger you are correct. 'Boys Anti Tank Rifle' the later marks had a .55" tungsten round that could pierce 3/4" (19mm) armour plate.
I'd like one for my carrier ....and a Lewis gun please Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1