Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First Start

Exciting times!!

I reckon in the next couple of weeks I'll be able to fire up the engine to check everything is working correctly (still a few months away from finishing the whole bike though).

Are there any top tips, things to watch out for etc so I don't end up with a disaster on my hands?!

Our friend Dave Plumb fixed up the cylinder head so I shouldn't need to worry about that (managed to keep original piston) new rings fitted, all new gaskets, mag cleaned up and sparking, bottom end cleaned out (but not dismantled, no play in crank and bearings smooth, all oil lines cleaned, carb cleaned up and about to have refurb kit fitted, petrol tank and lines refurbed including taps....etc!

I already narrowly averted one disaster - when I discovered the retaining pin for the oil spindle was too short, causing the spindle to slip and jam the gears in the crankcase. That could have been messy!

So, other than having a fire extinguisher on standby, any advice would be much appreciated!

Andy

email (option): Adh325@hotmail.com

Re: First Start

Andy
Exciting times!!

.... mag cleaned up and sparking ....
Andy

Just cleaned up, but still the WW2 wire with shellac isolation? This will give you a nice spark, and a nice ride, until you stop and try to restart again, VERY un-nice. The only way to be sure that it will continue to spark, even when hot, is to have it rewound and isolated with modern stuff. DAMHIK...

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Nieuwe pagina 1