Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuel tank - protected from electric current?

Dannys post just reminded me of something regarding the fuel tank. The front mounting bolt washers on my bike look like they are isolated with rubber inside. Is this to isolate the tank from electric current to prevent sparks, or is it anti vibration?

Thanks,

Andy

email (option): Adh325@hotmail.com

Re: Fuel tank - protected from electric current?

Hi Andy, I think it probably vibration as the copper fuel pipes weren't insulated. Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Actually, it's usual practice for all fuel systems to be electrically connected (elecrically common). What causes sparks is a difference in electrical potential. Keeping parts electrically connected is important for safety. It's when parts don't have solid electrical connections that you have a safety problem. For example, all hoses that carry fuel have to be made of conductive materials. This is to prevent a build up of static charge which could build up high enough in voltage to jump a spark.

I happen to be an aircraft engineer with a specialty in fuel systems.

Kevin

Yes, that's what happened to the Hindenburg. When they dropped the anchor lines down they earthed, creating a spark which ignited the material. I didn't know that about fuel lines though. Thanks

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

That all makes sense - thanks fellas.

email (option): Adh325@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1