Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Rear tank mounting bolts

Did search the forum. Couldn't find the answer to this.

Rear tank bolts. Can anyone explain exactly what should be there? I've got some shouldered bolts drilled for split pins, but they were lifting the tank too high - so much so that the 'bars were hitting it on right lock.

I've got some large rubbers (naturally) and some large washers. I've taken out the shouldered bolts and put some small bolts in. But what's the real deal?

Also, what's the proper arrangement for the bolt that holds the seat front bracket? Is the frame threaded? And should there be a nut on the end of the bolt? At present, I've got a bolt, but the nut doesn't seem to have clearance. Any help appreciated.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Re: Rear tank mounting bolts - not to Hans and Rob

Hans, thanks for sending me the picture of the tank bolts. That's pretty much what I've got (on one side), but the bolt raised the tank too much and, as I said, allows the handlebars to make contact. At present, I've got a pair of smaller bolts in place with a rubber washer each. But now that I'm sure of what I'm supposed to be looking at, I'll take a fresh look and will try to see what's going on. Thanks again for the pic.

Robb, thanks also, but I won't need that pic now. And as you say, I'm fairly close to Russells, so I know what to source. Can't see why they need safety wire. It's not as if the tank can really go anywhere, trapped as it is between the bars and the seat.

I'll just have to sort out the seat bracket (front) bolt now. Thanks for the email.

Re: Rear tank mounting bolts - "note" to Hans and Rob

Sorry. Sloppy post. The last heading should have read "note" not "not".

Confusing stuff, huh?

What side of the bracket did you put the rubbers? If you put them under the tank(on top of the bracket) that will lift the tank too high. Rubbers should be under the bracket, not touching the tank.

Hope this helps.....

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Thanks for the suggestion. I put the rubbers BETWEEN the tank and the mounting brackets. It doesn't seem to make sense putting them UNDER the brackets. But I suppose I'm misunderstanding something here. I thought the idea was to have the tank sit on rubber. Can anyone explain this?

Incidentally, I did try to put this reply up hours ago, but it hasn't appeared (not on my screen, anyway). Has anyone else had this problem?

Danny the parts list I have list two different rubber washers/spacers for each rear mount. One of these is called 'Tank Rear Support Bolt Rubber (Thin).
My understanding ( read as 'guess' because I have never seen an original, correct set-up) is that the thinner one goes between the tank and the bracket and the thicker one goes under the bracket.
The shouldered bolt should have a washer that bears on the bottom of the thicker rubber spacer so the frame bracket is surrounded by rubber.

I bought a set of rubber spacers from a dealer at a swapmeet here ages ago and they are clearly too thick (one is about twice the thickness of the other) and would need trimming to size to have a hope of getting the bolt to reach the thread in the tank.

Perhaps someone with the correct set-up can provide the approximate thickness of these rubber spacers?

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Hi Danny..Take care if not using the correct shouldered bolts. The shoulder screws up against the threaded metal plate that is welded to the base of the tank. Unshouldered or non standard bolts, if too long, can easily be screwed right through the bottom of the tank when tightened..I've seen it done more than once. The holes in the heads of the bolts are there to wire one bolt to the other to prevent loosening and loss of the bolts ,rubbers etc.
I don't wire them myself, relying on the fact that the bolt is locking against a shoulder when fully tightened..haven't lost one yet..(touchwood)...
I understood there was a rubber each side of the tank mouting bracket...the upper one being pretty thin...only 3-5mm. I think I have a couple of NOS ones but they are unusable...absolutely rock hard.
Ian

i brought a kit for the rear tank bolt 2 shoulder bolts with locking wire holes 2 large steel washers 2 thick rubber washers and 2 square thin washer i have put them thin square washer between tank and support bracket thick rubber underneath support bracket steel washer then bolt i think if you put the thick rubber washer between the tank and support bracket the tank is raised to high

can anyone give me the thickness of the lower rubber, so called thick one please ? i've got a bag of nos thin ones...

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1