Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
It ain't broke, but should I fix it?

Just removed the tank from the M20. The previous owner had used some kind of tank sealant that's been flaking off in huge (and little) pieces. I need to clean it out before it blocks the carb.

I've got some Slosh from Draganfly (that I've used in my BMW: it's still curing, so I don't know how successfully it's sealed a small weep at a seam).

However, I can't see that the M20 tank is actually leaking. Never had any suspicions there. I figure the last owner used a tank sealant as a precautionary measure. But before I get Sloshed, is there any obvious downside to using this stuff?

I'm concerned that using it will make welding or soldering (at a later date, if necessary) difficult. Or, at least, that welding will cause problems with the Slosh. But is there some other consideration to bear in mind?

Any thoughts, anyone?

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Re: It ain't broke, but should I fix it?

Petseal used to be pretty much standard procedure for any tank showing even surface rust inside, didn't it ?

Many took the view that it would seal any rubbish and if there were leaks, it would cure them without risking the paint job.

I don't think that I'd put anything in a tank if I didn't have to. Personally, I'd give the tank a good scour and clean out and see how it is. If it's not leaking without sealant then that's one less thing to worry about.

Thanks, Rik. That's pretty much my feeling. I can't really see why I need to automatically replace a failed tank sealant.

I think I'll just clean it out and use it and see what happens. Of course, if things go wrong, I'll blame you.

I agree with Rik, I hate the stuff and have never used it. There is also a big problem with some sealer reacting the modern petrol. The Petrol is dissolving the sealer and stopping bikes running and gumming up the carb. So if you do decide to use a sealer, make sure it's ethanol proof. The extra ethanol in petrol is also dissolving the resin in old fibreglass tanks. I think I am having this problem at the moment on one of my bikes. I might have to eat my own words here and seal the tank before it melts away, or find a steal tank to replace it. I try to get a leaky tank fixed properly, but I have had good results using 2 pack resin "instant metal" on the outside of the tank.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Do seal your fiber tank. I lost a 600 dollar fiber tank on my antique Ossa. The ethanol WILL ruin your tank. It will come first in seeing a small bubble in the paint. If you see this at all drain the tank and wash with acetone and seal it.

Also I am agreeing with the rest. Dont seal the metal tank unless it has a leak, or it is looking rusty inside(more than normal). Another aspect of ethanol fuels is that it attracts and absorbs water from the air. Using ethanol fuels means a higher level of water in the tank than normal. So you will find that the upper part of your steel tank(the area thats hardest to see) will rust much faster than normal. Just something to keep in mind.

I find the risk worth taking as you can almost never tell if your tank sealer is gonna hold out. I have tried three and only one lasted more than a year. Caswell's is going 3 years strong. The other "ethanol safe" ones failed after a year or so.

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

Thanks to all for the tips and opinions. My tank is steel and still (apparently) in good condition. So I'm going to try it without the Slosh sealant and see what happens. I'll just clean it out and will continue using it. But I'll keep a closer check for rust above the "petrol line" inside the tank.

Thanks again.

Thanks Michael, I will drain the petrol out in the morning and get some sealer for the fiberglass tank. Not something I want to do, but I have no choice with this tank. It was fine at the end of last year, but this year it's popping and banging. I took the float bowl off the carb and it's full of bits which is odd. It must be bits of figerglass resin. I will try Caswell as you recommend. Thanks for the tip

The dissolved fiberglass resin can also build up on valves and valve seats.

You can fill pages with all the harm ethanol can cause.

In the States there are plans to be at 20 percent in the next few years. In Brazil they are already running 20 percent. They even have 100 percent.

For us in the States... You may not know this, but as ethanol is made from a subsidized product (corn), we as taxpayers are paying about $4.50 a gallon in tax money for every gallon sold. So at the current prices a gallon of gas is costing us around $8.00. Rather convenient that the Agricultural Lobby had a big part in the switch from MTB to Ethanol (both of which are added as oxidizers to better oxygenate the fuel and hence burn cleaner/raise octane rating). So the ethanol manufacturers buy the corn at half its value because the Government pays the corn farmers the other half in subsidies. And that money comes from taxes (Or more loans from the Federal Reserve...)

As you may notice I get rather angry when the word ETHANOL is mentioned

email (option): micran1234@yahoo.com

I coated the insides of my Indian tanks about 12 years ago, with Petseal Ultra. (purely as a precautionary measure). Last year I noticed the stuff was falling off. I couldn't see any signs of leakage, so I just cleaned it out with Petseal's own solvent. It's fine now. I'm of the same opinion as others that I'd only use such stuff in an emergency. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

There has been no consideration or warning about what ethanol will do to people's vehicles, they just put it in and let us find out the hard way. I will be annoyed if my tanks's ruined, and I don't really want to swill custard around my tank either.
I'm now off to the garage to drain the tank and flush out my carbs, and see if I can get some sealer somewhere. I'm glad this topic was brought up because it's made me do it. I've been sticking my head in the sand about it thinking my tank will be ok

I coated the tank on my 58 MGA with KREME ( same kinda thing as Petseal)

I followed all instructions to the tee. Yet, after three years, I kept stalling out. Wait a bit, and off we would go.

You guessed it, clogged fuel filter, small amount leaking through to fill the float bowls.

I see the biggest problem is the dang stuff flaking off.

So, "If it aint's broke, don't fix it."

PS: I got the 78 MG Midget running after an 8 year storage. Yipee!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1