Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2 Colonials to vist the mother country.

Hi Gents,
my brother and I will be visiting the UK in June/July, and we were wanting to know if there are any Swap meets(Auto jumbles)during that time of the year.We will be with a tour group for approx 3 weeks in June and then the rest of the time we will be hiring a car and tripping around.We might get to bring some M20 parts in our cases back to Oz? We would really like to just go for a look really and soak up the atmosphere, and compare them with our swap meets we have in Oz. Looking forward to visiting the mother country,and tasting your warm beer!!! I will leave my convict clothing at home??!!!!
Cheers Dave James.

email (option): jamfam@dragnet.com.au

Re: 2 Colonials to vist the mother country.

Hi Dave...I think 'Founders Day' Autojumble falls into that time period..though I would have to confirm the date. It is the main jumble (and show) of the Vintage Motorcycle Club.
It's held at a really nice venue in the grounds of an English Country house and has all the atmosphere you could wish for....Ian

Hi Dave..Perhaps it's borderline on dates for Founders Day...July the 24th....Ian

Hi Ian,
we do a tour for the most of June, then catch a train to York from London on Mon 4thth July,for 7 days car rental,then back to London on 11th July,depart the 12th, i have been checking the ittinery!!!!
Thanks Ian for your info, if we find a jumble we will surely get there.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers from oz, Looking forward to meeting some pom`s!!!!!
Dave James

If you can fit it into your tour, here's another must-see: the Banbury Run on June 19th. It has an excellent autojumble alongside all the vintage & veteran action.

Other than that, the magazines Old Bike Mart and RealClassic both have comprehensive events listings online. And try to get to a steam rally for the full-on British experience and for some interesting jumbling, NTET.co.uk lists most of them and I can personally recommend the Banbury Rally on June 25-26.

If the weather is kind you'll have a great time, but don't forget to buy an umbrella when you get here (it's like a small parachute which keeps the rain off your head - I know that's a ridiculous concept but it's what we do here).

ChrisJ

Hi Chris,
thanks for the info, i have read about the Banbury Run in Magazines,we will try and work on that one,if we can.
Ihave also obtained some motorcyle shop addresses from a magazine of the uk so we will be looking out for those as well. We will be looking for 6/1 Triumph parts,but they are very rare.
cheers Dave

Hello Dave, we've got a fairly comprehensive events listing on Sump (www.sumpmagazine.com). We're updating it constantly. Rufforth Park Autojumble is on in York on Saturday 4th June 2011, if that helps. There's usually quite a lot going on in June/July. But of course, you have to be in the right part of the country at the right time.

Then again, a 200-odd mile jaunt is probably a trip around the corner for you antipodeans. Chances of finding Triumph 6/1 parts are remote, unless you're trawling a lot of jumbles. And even then, I think Triumph made less than 100 of them.

But you might Google Andy Tiernan, or Ron Farthing, or Bill Little. After that, it's down to prayer.

email (option): dannydefazio@sumpmagazine.com

Hi Danny,
thanks for your info too, it all helps.
The 6/1 is like looking for a needle in a hay stack of course!!
I was going through some older classic bike mags the other day and came across an article on M20`s and found you in the article!!!now i can put a face to a name. Looking forward to our trip, my brother who will be with me is my identical twin, so if you guys see a couple of lost Aussielook alikes, you can help us out ??!!

hire a car that does a lot of mile to the gallon as it at £6 a gallon at the moment and going up they dont do warm beer here now days just freezing cold so you cant taste how rough it is at least with warm beer you could savor the flavor but have a good holiday

I have a friend here in the Low Countries, Joop Dorrepaal who has been trying for decades to complete a 6/1; I gave him your coordinates in case he wants to get rid of the parts he still has.

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Don't worry Dave...You can still get a warm beer in many country pubs...Go for the 'real ale' if you see a sign for it..but go steady, some of it is a lot stronger than Ozzie lager..Ian

Thanks Hans and Ian for you info. Hans we have a near conplete 6/1, and another not complete we plan to sell at some stage . We will visit some bike shops and jumbles if we can and see what we can find??
Thanks gents. cheers from oz, Dave.

Dave.
I live in Banbury. The Banbury run now starts from the Gaydon heratage center about 7 miles out of town. It is a brilliant event as you see those early pioneer bikes being properly used on the road, and climbing the infamous Sunrise Hill. (My WM20 needs second gear to get up that, and plenty of engine braking going down)

There seems to be some arrangment with God who makes sure the weather is always glorious on the day, because I can hardly ever remember it raining.

As said before, the auto jumble is one of the best especially for rare bike bits.

Well also have a nearby brewery at Hook Norton where the beautifully delicious Hook Norton Ales are brewed. It is served at celler temperature, has a pollen/floral taste to it, and in my opinion is one the worlds best beers.

There are plenty of good pubs along the route of the run where you can sit outside, drinking Hookey beer, eating sandwhiches, while watching bikes of all ages go by.
Does life get any better than that?
I think a day at the Banbury is truly one of the highlights of the classic bike year.

Hi Peter,
it sounds very relaxing watching the bikes go past the pub??.
Thanks for passing on this information,we will try and get there if our tour ittinery lets us.
cheers Dave

David.
If you are going to the Banbury, get in touch with me before and I will meet you.

Nieuwe pagina 1